Trouble Comes Twice [GxG/GxB/BxB] [Romantic-Comedy] - RELEASING SOON!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
foxglovegames
Projects: Trouble Comes Twice
Organization: Foxglove Games

Trouble Comes Twice [GxG/GxB/BxB] [Romantic-Comedy] - RELEASING SOON!

#1 Post by foxglovegames »

Trouble Comes Twice is an upcoming bisexual romcom visual novel under development by indie game development team Foxglove Games. The game is currently scheduled for release in 2022. For more frequent development updates, feel free to follow us on Tumblr and Twitter.

Rating: 15+ for infrequent strong language, mature humour and mild suggestive content

• Four Love Interests + Eight Routes

• 16 Endings - Romantic or Dramatic

• Romance cute girls and boys as both twins

• 48 unique CG Illustrations and 8 Chibi Illustrations

• Hours of gameplay - over 300,000 words

Trouble Comes Twice features two playable protagonists, 20-year old twins Jace and Hazel. Life isn’t easy when you’re competing against your twin at every turn. A confident flirt with a narcissistic streak, Jace has breezed through life thanks to his good looks but lacks ambition. On the other hand, Hazel is a talented but short-tempered pianist who has few friends due to the haughty facade she uses to hide her social awkwardness. Already halfway through their university years, the twins realize neither of them have ever been in love before. Like any other not-so-rational person, they decide to turn it into a competition. Whoever gets a girlfriend/boyfriend first wins!

Thank you for reading! :)
Last edited by foxglovegames on Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:30 am, edited 13 times in total.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Trouble Comes Twice [GxG/GxB/BxB] [Slice-of-Life] [Romance] [Comedy]

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

This looks really cute! I love to see bi protagonists. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the love interests!
ImageImageImage

foxglovegames

#3 Post by foxglovegames »

parttimestorier wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:41 pm This looks really cute! I love to see bi protagonists. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the love interests!
Thank you so much for your interest!

We're excited to be working on a visual novel featuring bi and pan characters as the main cast. :)

Saitogami
Regular
Projects: Danganronpa F: Shattered Hope (as Pocket), Once More (as Boss), Cybermania (as Tesla), Lionheart Paragon (as Zetsu), Everstory (as Jack),
Organization: Third Man Entertainment
IRC Nick: Josh
Soundcloud: Saitogami

#4 Post by Saitogami »

Hi foxglovegames!

This project looks freakin amazing! The designs look beautiful and I'm really curious to see how the story turns out, and what the 16 endings are. All the characters look sharp and cool, and I love all their traits. My personal favs are Hazel and Adrien. I love how Hazel dedicates herself to her piano work but at the same time - to the 2D CHARACTERS! And Adrien is just cool; cleaning up the messes of the twins haha.

Again, I can't wait to see how it turns out! I was wondering, because of how far the project is, if there are already voice actors cast? If not, will there be future auditions? I would love to try out! ESPECIALLY FOR ADRIEN!

Besides that though, I hope you and the team are doing well and staying safe. Keep workin hard and again, it looks fantastic!!

Sincerely,

Josh Portillo

foxglovegames

#5 Post by foxglovegames »

Saitogami wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:29 pm Again, I can't wait to see how it turns out! I was wondering, because of how far the project is, if there are already voice actors cast? If not, will there be future auditions? I would love to try out! ESPECIALLY FOR ADRIEN!

Besides that though, I hope you and the team are doing well and staying safe. Keep workin hard and again, it looks fantastic!!
Thank you for your interest Josh! We're glad you like Hazel and Adrian a lot. :)

Currently, we don't have any plans to voice the game but if our plans change, we'll make an announcement post on our social medias and you'd be more than welcome to audition for the role.

Saitogami
Regular
Projects: Danganronpa F: Shattered Hope (as Pocket), Once More (as Boss), Cybermania (as Tesla), Lionheart Paragon (as Zetsu), Everstory (as Jack),
Organization: Third Man Entertainment
IRC Nick: Josh
Soundcloud: Saitogami

#6 Post by Saitogami »

Yoooooo!

Thank you for responding so fast! Thank ya thank ya! And yo, with or without, the game is gonna be fantastic!! People are gonna fall in love with it :D

Good luck and if you do go with the voice acting, I would definitely love to audition!

Keep workin hard! It's paying off!

- Josh Portillo

foxglovegames

#7 Post by foxglovegames »

Main post has been updated with all of the character bios now!

We're hoping to drop the Kickstarter alpha demo later next week. The art for the demo is 100% ready + the script is finished and being edited right now. Once the script is completely ready, we'll have to code everything in and we're also waiting on some final UI stuff, however it shouldn't take too long to program or test. Right now, we're predicting the demo to be around 15k - 20k words if you play through every path. It's only a rough demo to give an idea of what we're trying to do with the real game.

For example, in the final version, all the sprites will be shaded and have more expressions/outfits and potentially poses as well. If we're funded (fingers crossed!) we're planning to release a longer demo of the full game's prologue, plus the scenes from this demo as a bonus extra.

Until the KS demo is ready, it's only going to be minor updates so we'll keep those to Twitter/Tumblr and drop another update here once we've got some more concrete development progress/news about the demo. Until next time!
Last edited by foxglovegames on Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

meowworkstm
Regular
Projects: The Riddlemaster, A Cottage Story
Tumblr: ladymeowsith
Deviantart: Meowworkstm

#8 Post by meowworkstm »

I like the game's premise and considering the twins are their own characters does that mean we can romance the same character twice with a unique story line? Or did you plan on the story lines being relatively similar just with adjustments to the chosen twin? Either way I think the idea is neat and would gladly romance Cameron or Zoe twice anyway haha

Good luck and I'll be looking out for that demo!!

foxglovegames

#9 Post by foxglovegames »

meowworkstm wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:20 pm I like the game's premise and considering the twins are their own characters does that mean we can romance the same character twice with a unique story line? Or did you plan on the story lines being relatively similar just with adjustments to the chosen twin? Either way I think the idea is neat and would gladly romance Cameron or Zoe twice anyway haha

Good luck and I'll be looking out for that demo!!
Yes, you will be able romance the characters twice with a unique storyline! The dynamics of their relationship and the plot changes depending on which twin you choose (for example, Hazel and Cameron are a lot more flirty with each other while Jace and Cameron have more of a rivals-to-lovers type of relationship), though the love interest's personality/background always remains the same.

We're glad to hear you're interested in Cameron and Zoe and we're super excited to share more of them soon with the demo! :)

meowworkstm
Regular

#10 Post by meowworkstm »

foxglovegames wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:59 am
Yes, you will be able romance the characters twice with a unique storyline! The dynamics of their relationship and the plot changes depending on which twin you choose (for example, Hazel and Cameron are a lot more flirty with each other while Jace and Cameron have more of a rivals-to-lovers type of relationship), though the love interest's personality/background always remains the same.
That's so awesome!! Now I really can't wait for the demo, the extra perspective between each route is such a great bonus. :^)

foxglovegames

#11 Post by foxglovegames »

Good News: Demo is almost finished! We've just got to add a few final details and then test it. We're aiming to release it tomorrow evening (CET).

The demo is going to let you pick a twin to play as first, then it branches off into a mini-prologue with variations depending on which love interest's scene you've chosen. There are four "date" scenes (one for each love interest) per twin, so eight in total. Each one is around 2 to 3k words long. For now, the demo's only intended to serve as a short intro for people to get a quick glimpse of what we're trying to do with this visual novel. The full demo, if our crowdfunding campaign hopefully is successful, will be longer and a lot more polished. That said, we're always open to feedback!

Also, our Kickstarter pre-launch page is now up! Feel free to check it out here and give us a follow if you want to be alerted once the KS goes live.

Otherwise, we'll hopefully be back tomorrow with another update as soon as the demo is out!

Edit: I forgot to mention, but we hit over 100 followers on Twitter last night. Here's a special image of Zoe we posted to celebrate hitting our first milestone!
ZOE special 2.png

foxglovegames

Re: Trouble Comes Twice [GxG/GxB/BxB] [Slice-of-Life] [ALPHA DEMO OUT NOW!]

#12 Post by foxglovegames »

The alpha demo is now out! It features a quick glimpse into what the characters/story are going to be like in the full demo, featuring a short intro scene and eight unique mini-routes depending on which love interest and protagonist you've chosen.

Download here.

meowworkstm
Regular

#13 Post by meowworkstm »

Okay, so I played through all the routes for both Jace and Hazel and I have a few thoughts!
I liked that there were clear differences between the twins and their banter was so natural! I found myself relating to Jace more since Hazel has very specific hobbies and tendencies but I thought her dynamic with each character felt more unique from one another. I'd probably still play through the whole game as Hazel first though since she's a girl.

When the full game comes out I'd go for Hazel/Stephanie because they're absolutely adorable together and their personalities play off of each other surprisingly well. I was really taken aback since I'm usually indifferent towards shy characters but Stephanie's my favorite character so far! Her reactions aren't what you'd expect from the "shy girl" and she has her own endearing quirks. You can tell her fears come from a place of genuine anxiety. I would probably do Jace/Zoe next for the same reason. Both take what they dish and it really feels like a "I love to hate you" dynamic that's natural.

The twins, Adrian, and Stephanie are great, they're very real, and broke my expectations based on their character descriptions but Cameron and Zoe left something to be desired. My main concern is that Zoe and Hazel are best friends but they're very distant from each other, almost a bit awkward. It's probably that particular scenario but comparatively Zoe honestly felt closer to Jace? Cameron's biggest problem is that he claims he's one thing and then does the complete opposite. It's not convincing that he's serious about Hazel or Jace when he treats them exactly like any other person he picks up. I also would've liked to see the dangerous rebel side of him, but so far his actions are quite shallow and it makes him come off as a jerk.

Overall, the demo was great! Loved the quiz in the beginning and the art immediately draws me in. I'm really excited for the upcoming Kickstarter!

foxglovegames

#14 Post by foxglovegames »

meowworkstm wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:39 am Okay, so I played through all the routes for both Jace and Hazel and I have a few thoughts!
Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback and you support! We really appreciate it.

As the writer for Hazel/Stephanie's path, I'm super happy you liked them together and it seems the dynamic I wanted to get across for that scene came out well! We had a limited amount of words for this demo and for now we could only hint at the relationships between the characters and their full personalities, so it's nice to hear that you liked her a lot from what you read!

It's difficult to explain without spoilers, but Hazel and Zoe do have quite a complicated friendship! Both can be very withdrawn when it comes to their true feelings due to spoilers, though they both wear different facades. That said, it's something that will definitely be explored more in depth in their full route, but there will definitely be more relaxed scenes between the two as well where Hazel is less uptight. And for Cameron, it's a similar case! As mentioned, we unfortunately only had a limited amount of time so we couldn't really show all sides of the characters yet. We'll take your notes into consideration though for the full game and hope you'll enjoy him more in the final demo later if you decide to try his paths again!

meowworkstm
Regular

#15 Post by meowworkstm »

foxglovegames wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:54 pm
Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback and you support! We really appreciate it.
That's what I figured given the situation between Hazel/Zoe, and it makes sense that we'll see more sides since each character develops in two different ways! This just makes me curious to know what the full story for each character is once the game comes out haha

I'm still very much interested in learning about them and the demo was a fun experience so thanks again for your team's hard work. :D