Transfomation Sequence Progress Log *DEMO IS DONE!*

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

Transfomation Sequence Progress Log *DEMO IS DONE!*

#1 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

MAJOR UPDATE!

The script... IT IS COMPLETE.
Transformation Sequence draft 0.1.1.zip
Playtest demo v.0.1.1
(3.87 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Now at version 0.1.1 (second draft.)

Art:
Deji was kind enough to do a full color sketch of every major character in the game!
Cute overload warning!
Cute overload warning!
Fear the moe moe protagonist!

And I've just signed on Jodie Azhar from Sweatdrop Studios to do the gallery images! YAY~!

Music:
Notta chance.

A special sneak preview of my favorite lines so far:

The power of subtext compels you!
Talia explains her shipping preferences.

Ethan: What? He's a diplomat! He hasn't got any combat stats.
Izzy: Though he does have the special ability Douchebag, which makes all intelligent creatures in hearing range want to throttle him.
Talia as Timothy: "My character's only avoided it because I maxed out her Will save."

- Regarding a certian nameless NPC.

Talia: I stride up to the soon-to-be-dead archer that hurt my lover and strike him down. ...with a basic attack. Not an at-will power... she's so scared and so hurt by this that Miss Tactics herself does something stupid.
- Talia milking her character's situation for drama to attract Ethan's attention.

Isabel: It's just... my parents called last night.
Talia: Oh.
Isabel: ...they're wondering when I'm going to get a boyfriend.
Talia: ...that sucks.

- Isabel tells a half-truth about explains why she's been nervous around Talia this weekend.

Lisa: T, what's gotten into you?
Talia: Nothing~!
Lisa: Right... and i'll just ram my ovipositor down your throat and lay millions of glistening eggs. Did I mention that I'm not an alien?
Talia: ...Ew.

-Regarding an Evil Plot of Talia's.

Isabel: "I've just gone from zero to YouTube in less than five seconds, haven't I?"
- Regarding someone recording one of her Random Acts Of Squee.

And that's all the time we have for today!
Last edited by Tsundere Lightning on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Transfomation Sequence Progress Log

#2 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

-Added the "Alex's Play" subplot in damn near it's entirety (and therefore, component 1 of the true ending.)

-Implemented the good ending and the best ending with Isabel.

Tomorrow: The Dates of Doom.
Last edited by Tsundere Lightning on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#3 Post by Watercolorheart »

Good luck! Is there any way we can tempt you into a demo?

I'm a complete D&D geek ...
I'm not even the same person anymore

#4 Post by 4394 »

Great watching your progress. Looking forward to this game, if only for the transgendered protagonist, being one such person myself.

Good luck!
DREAM ON!
Sprites: complete
CGs: 0/4
Scripting: 1/7

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

When I finish the script - which should only take around a day or two, the beta test will be up before you can say "How can one person cram so many Ren'Py game references into a single visual novel!?" :mrgreen:

May as well take this opportunity to post an update.

I finished the good "coming out" ending as well as the better "coming out" ending, but not all of the branches that lead you there.

I also finished Ethan and Talia's first date! :mrgreen:

Minor edit: I also just knocked off a certian boy's confession of love to Talia! :mrgreen:

Next on the agenda, the events of Thursday, and the ramifications of said first date.

And the quote of the day is!

Isabel: "I've just gone from zero to YouTube in less than five seconds, haven't I?"
- Regarding someone recording one of her Random Acts Of Squee.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Transfomation Sequence Progress Log *DEMO IS DONE!*

#6 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

THE FIRST DRAFT OF THE SCRIPT IS COMPLETE.

YOU SHALL LOVE ETHAN, AND DESPAIR.

(Or not. It all depends on the choices you make.)

So anyway! I'm am certian that there are long stretches of prose that are more purple than the description of a dress worn by a Mary Sue fan of Prince. :shock:

Not to mention...

...that peculiar disease...

...of the Visual Novel.

The much feared...

...dreaded, even...

...Overused Ellipsis.

:roll:

So, download away, and please post as many constructive critiques as you can. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think!

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#7 Post by rocket »

Tsundere Lightning wrote: ...Overused Ellipsis.
Un-possible!

ficedula
Regular

#8 Post by ficedula »

MorningStar had about 1,300 ellipses in its script.

You learn these things when you're losing grip on reality at the end of a NaNo project and running word counts ;)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#9 Post by Watercolorheart »

Typo, play-through 1.

"Not he's ever do something like that" = Not that he'll ever do something like that or Not that he would ever do something like that ...

I have no idea what they're talking about the beginning. :( Reminds me of browsing /a.

Sometimes, there's a blank screen and I don't know why. I have to click again to show any text.

Okay, the ellipsis thing is driving me up the wall. I don't know why. I'm no better: I just use a "—" instead to break up my thoughts or an ", and" or ", then" ... I know it's a VN tradition, but damn.

I give up. Black screens are throwing me off, since I beta-test to keep those out of my game.
I'm not even the same person anymore

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

While I don't mind ellipses in the game to indicate time passing, I'm not a fan of having multiple lines of ellipses in a row. (*cough* ATP *cough*) One is enough to get the point, and longer breaks of time probably deserve text, to make them less boring.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#11 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yeah, I also found the blank screens confusing. I think they'd be best either removed, or replaced with "..." or "~ ~ ~" or "* * *" or something.
(I didn't just recommend you add more ellipses to the game, did I? :shock:)

I also found the anime from the first scene somewhat confusing. The combination of fan-speak such as OTP with characters from some anime I hadn't heard of made me feel somewhat intimidated. Thankfully I stuck with the game, because I came to really enjoy it. But the Venus Warriors stuff did feel like... well, like listening to people talk about a series that you haven't seen.
(And in fact, it turns out, that doesn't even exist.)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

BCS:

My apologies. This was, as most first drafts are, a terrible first draft.

Ren'Py:

See above. I was more worried with getting the story out onto paper than technical quality.

chrono:

No. Dear. God. No. Do not suggest more ellipses. I have enough trouble preventing ellipses from reproducing in the presence of angst in much the same way that PuffyCats clone in the presence of puns - Do NOT suggest I include more. The ellipses annoy ME. :evil: AND I WROTE THE DAMN THING. :mrgreen:

Those blank scenes are placeholders for the sprites shifting expression, whether slightly or dramatically... But in builds without sprites, they should BLOODY DIE. This is my being a dumb noob. Maybe replace them with descriptions of the expressions?

The ~~~ mark shifts in time and/or scene.

Based on the critical reation, my priorities for 0.2.0 are:
  • Rewrite the post-anime club scene so that it's not so damn referential: just Ethan having enjoyed it and talking about it and Talia Timothy being fangirlish, but not to the point of distraction. What Venus Warriors is (apart from it being a fairly generic shoujou series and shout-out to Pygmalion) is not nearly as important as Ethan and Talia sharing an affection for the series. Incidentally,
    was "Galatea Doujin by Andrew Bernard Higgens" the tip-off, Chrono?
  • Rewrite the Dungeons and Dragons scene so that it's more about character interaction and less about an improbable number of critical hits.
  • Any other examples of runaway references or fannishness: ref I'll cut the Awesome Moment of Crowning inversion and identifying "Never attribute to malice what stupidity alone can accomplish" as Hanlon's Razor, and so on.
  • Rewrite the choice with Lisa such that the truth comes out during a Bliss Stage one-shot: If Talia decides to play as the moe innocent Sarah in order to riff off Ethan's choice of lothario Keenan, it will confirm Lisa's mounting suspicions regarding her NAILING the role of Amy in the play. The Power Of Subtext (And Spicy Mechanics) Compels Me! :twisted:
  • Shoot unneeded ellipses on sight.
Sound like a reasonable goal?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:]in much the same way that PuffyCats clone in the presence of puns
Now that was a great reference. And at least one other person on the board has a chance of getting it, too.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

I am (much like Chronoluminare) a Toothy Cat! I post! Post! Post! :roll:

I guess I need help toning the references down, is all.