[SOLVED] Slow text skipping problem on screens

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RicharDann
Veteran

[SOLVED] Slow text skipping problem on screens

#1 Post by RicharDann »

I'm trying to create a custom dialogue screen for use with certain specific characters, without replacing the default say screen.

Among other things, I want the text in my screen to be displayed according to the user's text speed preference settings,
and I also need for the screen to be dismissed when the player clicks or hits Enter or Space, basically the same
way the default say screen works.

So with that in mind, I wrote code that looks like this (simplified):

Code: Select all

screen new_say(who, what):
    text what:
        size gui.text_size
        slow_cps True 
        slow_abortable True
The problem is that when I add a key statement to dismiss the screen when it's clicked, it doesn't wait for slow text to be finished. When I press the key, the screen is hidden but if slow text was still being displayed, it is just canceled without giving time to read it.

EDIT: I found in another post that slow_abortable is deprecated and only kept for compatibility for old projects, so it seems I was approaching this the wrong way. I think I'll just stick to the default say and figure out some other way to achieve what I want.
The most important step is always the next one.