The 31 Picture Visual Novel Challenge!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column
Projects: Ethereal Overflow
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

The 31 Picture Visual Novel Challenge!

#1 Post by SelLi »

Hello everyone! I have a hard time focusing, and visual novels in particular can be hard to focus on - I feel - as creators may try to juggle a bunch of ideas and story paths at a time. I sometimes find that limitations can be liberating, and I know I'm not alone! Challenges like "write a story in _ words", "draw a picture in _ minutes" or, of course, "make a visual novel in a month" can be quite useful and help people create!
So I thought I'd share a limiting challenge that I thought of: the 31 picture visual novel challenge~!

It's pretty self explanatory, but let me explain it a little bit: the challenge forces you to make a visual novel that uses only 31 custom images. In the spirit of this challenge, please keep your gui images default. Things that don't count toward the image count are solid, flat colors that take up the whole screen. (For when a character simply reds-out, whites-out, or whathaveyou.) But other than those, every image you add to the game counts!
The reason I chose 31 is because I feel that 30 is a fairly high number that's not overly restricting, yet not a high enough number to be intimidating or to not be helpfully restrictive. The extra 1 picture is meant for your title screen. :)

So there you have it: I simply thought I'd post this challenge idea. Unlike a game jam, there isn't any time limit if you choose to take this challenge, nor is there any sort of specified starting date - you can start and finish whenever. Therefore, I hope this will be friendly for you no matter what your schedule's like, and I simply hope that some of you will find this limitation helpful! ^^

If you take this challenge, feel free to share the links to your projects in this thread~! Or not~! It's up to you lol
(I hope I'm posting this thread in the right place~!) XD
Happy creating. ^^

anh0814
Tumblr: https://anh0814.tumblr.com/

Re: The 31 Picture Visual Novel Challenge!

#2 Post by anh0814 »

This sounds like a great challenge! I agree with you, I also find limitations liberating sometimes. ❤️

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Re: The 31 Picture Visual Novel Challenge!

#3 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I really like the idea of this limitation challenge! I think I will try it sometime. I also agree, limitations can be liberating in a way since it gives you an already set limit. I also find it breeds creativity since you have to try your best to be as creative as possible with so little. ^^
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"