Ovine Replica: Serenity in Flesh [Fantasy, Action, Horror] [Demo Available]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aiyuu
Regular
Completed: Ovine Replica
Projects: Ovine Replica, Ursine Science
itch: amorous-ursidae

Ovine Replica: Serenity in Flesh [Fantasy, Action, Horror] [Demo Available]

#1 Post by Aiyuu »

After making only a handful of posts around here throughout the past few years to resolve a few technical difficulties with Ren'Py (some which might have been embarrassingly simple), I believe now would be a decent time to make myself known by whoever may browse here.

The passion project I've been toiling away at for the past several years, Ovine Replica, finally has an imminent release.
In short, I describe my work as "a tale of facing heartbreak and finding fulfillment in a sundered city", following mystery and conspiracy in a fantasy setting. For more information, you can find the meat of what the project entails—with a synopsis, list of features, cast of characters, and more artwork—here on its dedicated web page.

The free demo version of the project (covering the introduction of the story) has been released and is available now, while the final version (covering the story from beginning to end) will be released this summer, no later than September 22, 2020.

Please note that I am aware of several typos (and awkwardly worded lines) in the demo version as a result of oversight on both my and my first editor's behalf before more members were added to the QA team. The most egregious examples have since been fixed along with numerous lines which have been revised or added for clarity and legibility. On top of that, I have a whole changelog documenting everything altered over time, from updated visual flair to sound design.

Though if there is any one thing I regret, that would be excluding a lovely song that one of the composers made right after the demo was first put out there. The sound team has been working hard to ensure that the music of the final release far surpasses what you may hear in the demo.

In spite of any shortcomings in regards to presentation, for the sake of posterity, I want to preserve the contents of the demo in order to showcase the improvements made since then.

With that said, here is a list of other useful links:

itch.io page (with demo version download)
Official Twitter account
VNDB entry

Thank you for your time, and if anything has caught your interest, I hope you look forward to what's in store.

Saitogami
Regular
Projects: Danganronpa F: Shattered Hope (as Pocket), Once More (as Boss), Cybermania (as Tesla), Lionheart Paragon (as Zetsu), Everstory (as Jack),
Organization: Third Man Entertainment
IRC Nick: Josh
Soundcloud: Saitogami

Re: Ovine Replica: Serenity in Flesh [Fantasy, Action, Horror] [Demo Available]

#2 Post by Saitogami »

Hi Aiyuu,

First of all, thank you for workin on this game for the past few years because it looks fantastic!!! The visuals, character models, the backgrounds, the music, it's all here and it's GREAT. I really want to play the demo, but I'm at work hahaha

I was going to ask, and I hope it's not rude to, but in the future will you be wanting to implement voice overs into the game? If so, I'd love to audition! If you aren't though, that's totally fine! The game is great no matter what.

Again, thank you for all your hard work and I can't wait to try it out!

Aiyuu
Regular

#3 Post by Aiyuu »

Down the line, depending on how feasible it would be for me, I definitely would consider releasing a version or patch with voice acting. At least, that would be an ideal scenario. The simple reason that there currently isn't voice acting is because this is a budget project, so I couldn't have expected to manage and oversee enough people to make that happen. More interest over time might make that possible, but it's not planned for the immediate future.

Regardless, I'm glad to receive the offer.

Saitogami
Regular
Projects: Danganronpa F: Shattered Hope (as Pocket), Once More (as Boss), Cybermania (as Tesla), Lionheart Paragon (as Zetsu), Everstory (as Jack),

#4 Post by Saitogami »

Yo Aiyuu,

I'm sorry for the late reply. I didn't get a notification that you messaged back. I totally get that and when I have time, I can't wait to play this demo of yours. The budget stuff really is the difficult part at times but necessary. I hope voice acting is able to happen but again if not, that does NOT take away from anything you all have accomplished!

ATaleOfTwoKitties
Projects: Arcadia

#5 Post by ATaleOfTwoKitties »

Saitogami wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:12 pm Yo Aiyuu,

I'm sorry for the late reply. I didn't get a notification that you messaged back. I totally get that and when I have time, I can't wait to play this demo of yours. The budget stuff really is the difficult part at times but necessary. I hope voice acting is able to happen but again if not, that does NOT take away from anything you all have accomplished!

Can you do sheep voices, Josh?

Ovine Replica is a synonym for Sheep Clone

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ovine

Such an awesome name for a game hahahah
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60033
Discord: ataleoftwokitties#4898

Saitogami
Regular

#6 Post by Saitogami »

Y E S.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH

But seriously, their game is gonna be amazing!!!! :D

Aiyuu
Regular

#7 Post by Aiyuu »

I wanted a title that's distinct, but without using universe-specific terms (e.g. Brisingr, The Silmarillion) so it's still memorable or at least impressionable. I do get a little giddy when others catch on to the more obvious meaning behind the title, so it excites me to think about anyone else wondering what that or the subtitle might mean in the greater context of the story.

ATaleOfTwoKitties
Projects: Arcadia

#8 Post by ATaleOfTwoKitties »

Aiyuu wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:40 pm I wanted a title that's distinct, but without using universe-specific terms (e.g. Brisingr, The Silmarillion) so it's still memorable or at least impressionable. I do get a little giddy when others catch on to the more obvious meaning behind the title, so it excites me to think about anyone else wondering what that or the subtitle might mean in the greater context of the story.
It's an AMAZING title for anyone who knows what ovine means or looks it up (I looked it up to see if it had any relation to bovine). I think a lot of people won't know what it means initially or look it up right away, but it still just sounds cool as well so I think it's a really strong title.
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60033
Discord: ataleoftwokitties#4898

Aiyuu
Regular

#9 Post by Aiyuu »

As a minor update for whoever may view this thread, the release date is now confirmed for September 22 of this year. I had anticipated the date might be sometime before that deadline, but given the way things have gone, I decided that little extra patience is needed while everyone involved applies some finishing touches.

Saitogami
Regular

#10 Post by Saitogami »

Noice noice noice!!!