Should you cite your sources when putting factual info in your VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
robokarla

Should you cite your sources when putting factual info in your VN?

#1 Post by robokarla »

I'm currently working on a project that involves characters sharing animal facts. I'd like to cite sources & give credit, but I'm not sure what best practices are.

Obviously it doesn't make sense to do something like "Did you know cheetahs can run up to 35 miles per hour [1]?"

I'm thinking of providing credits at the end, like "Animal Facts: [Website Name]"

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have tips for doing this smoothly?

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Should you cite your sources when putting factual info in your VN?

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

I think just listing it in the credits of the game would be fine, or maybe putting something on your game's page that says "All animal facts in the game come from this website." I like to credit anything that helps me at all too, so when I used some details about how to play a specific board game that I had looked up online in one of my projects, I just included boardgamegeek.com in the special thanks section. I don't think anyone is going to tell you you're doing it wrong regardless of what you decide, since visual novels aren't academia and you don't strictly need to cite your sources. You can just make your own choice about what works for you.

If you like the idea of doing real footnotes though, you could consider using this code or something similar to make a glossary! Then the player could choose to bring up a note for information on the animal fact if they want to, or skip it if they're not interested. Maybe you could even include extra detail about the animals as well as your sources!
ImageImageImage

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#3 Post by Mutive »

I second the idea of citing sources in your credits. It keeps the citations from disrupting the game play while also showing that you've done your research (and giving credit where due).
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

If you've pulled info directly from somewhere, such as Wikipedia, it's actually a legal requirement to cite the source anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights
Re-use of text
Attribution
To re-distribute text on Wikipedia in any form, provide credit to the authors either by including a) a hyperlink (where possible) or URL to the page or pages you are re-using, b) a hyperlink (where possible) or URL to an alternative, stable online copy which is freely accessible, which conforms with the license, and which provides credit to the authors in a manner equivalent to the credit given on this website, or c) a list of all authors. (Any list of authors may be filtered to exclude very small or irrelevant contributions.) This applies to text developed by the Wikipedia community. Text from external sources may attach additional attribution requirements to the work, which should be indicated on an article's face or on its talk page. For example, a page may have a banner or other notation indicating that some or all of its content was originally published somewhere else. Where such notations are visible in the page itself, they should generally be preserved by re-users.
Copyleft/Share Alike
If you make modifications or additions to the page you re-use, you must license them under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 or later.
Indicate changes
If you make modifications or additions, you must indicate in a reasonable fashion that the original work has been modified. If you are re-using the page in a wiki, for example, indicating this in the page history is sufficient.
Licensing notice
Each copy or modified version that you distribute must include a licensing notice stating that the work is released under CC BY-SA and either a) a hyperlink or URL to the text of the license or b) a copy of the license. For this purpose, a suitable URL is: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

robokarla

#5 Post by robokarla »

Thanks all, I appreciate your responses. It's good to have some perspectives on this from other VN creators. I think that the credits idea will probably be the one that sticks, as it appears to be the most commonly used one. Thanks again!