What's the right response to learning someone is playing a pirated version of a game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

What's the right response to learning someone is playing a pirated version of a game?

#1 Post by verysunshine »

I'm subscribed to the Ren'py subreddit. Most of the time, participants are other developers. Sometimes players can show up as well.

A couple of days ago, I had an interaction with a player who was having issues with mobile versions of various Ren'py games lagging. I asked which ones, and the player gave me the names of three games that were not officially released on mobile. These were pirated versions.

What's the right response to a situation like that? Should I tell the developers about the pirated versions?

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: What's the right response to learning someone is playing a pirated version of a game?

#2 Post by fleet »

I see nothing wrong with informing the game developer. His work is getting a bad reputation. If you know the host source of the pirated games, the game developer can then submit a take down notice (Digital Millennium Copyright Act - DMCA) to the host site.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

Re: What's the right response to learning someone is playing a pirated version of a game?

#3 Post by ketskari »

Sometimes people port Ren'Py games unofficially to mobile - in some cases they already own the games, they just want to play them on their phone. Then they have problems because the games in question were not designed to work on mobile.

But if you know of the site where the person illegally downloaded them, in the case that they were pirated, then the developer would probably appreciate knowing.