[Solved-ish] Textbox position per character in new GUI?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Rinzamakani
Regular
Completed: Love's Apathy (Ciro route), A Frigid Space, Telechronic Static
Projects: Love's Apathy (Full)
itch: rinzamakani.itch.io

[Solved-ish] Textbox position per character in new GUI?

#1 Post by Rinzamakani »

Hello! I'm using the new GUI and added textboxes for each character. I've been trying to transfer my game from the old GUI to the new GUI. I searched on various websites, but couldn't find the answer to this. I'd like to know how to position the characters' textboxes to the middle of the bottom of the screen. I tried digging through the code in script, gui, options, and screens but can't find the code for textbox position, only the y-align.

Here's an example of my code:

Code: Select all

define al = Character ("Alexis", color="#5499C7", window_background="alexis_textbox.png")
The regular dialogue box works, but not the character textboxes. I'm trying to match the position of https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/_images/ ... screen.jpg
Last edited by Rinzamakani on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

RicharDann
Veteran

Re: Textbox position per character in new GUI?

#2 Post by RicharDann »

Did you try this?

define al = Character ("Alexis", color="#5499C7", window_background="alexis_textbox.png", window_xalign=.5)
If you need to change it for every character, in screens.rpy there is a style window statement defining the textbox position and image.
The most important step is always the next one.

Rinzamakani
Regular
Completed: Love's Apathy (Ciro route), A Frigid Space, Telechronic Static
Projects: Love's Apathy (Full)
itch: rinzamakani.itch.io

Re: Textbox position per character in new GUI?

#3 Post by Rinzamakani »

RicharDann wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:51 am Did you try this?

define al = Character ("Alexis", color="#5499C7", window_background="alexis_textbox.png", window_xalign=.5)
If you need to change it for every character, in screens.rpy there is a style window statement defining the textbox position and image.
The window_xalign=.5 didn't work for me. For now, I've fixed the problem by using transparent images and placed the textboxes where I needed them. Thank you for the help though. Much appreciated. :)