Horror NSFW game looking for...

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Spoiledprince
Projects: Dead in Venice

Horror NSFW game looking for...

#1 Post by Spoiledprince »

Anything you'd like to offer, sure, but we're in dire need of programmers. An artist would be nice, too.
Since is a purely a voluntary job, we can't be picky and will only take as much time as you feel like giving the project, but we hope you'll get as passionate about it as we ourselves are.

Project:
-DEAD IN VENICE (provisional title, of course) will be a Narrative Oriented Free Renpy Game about raising a child until he becomes a man, helping him reach his earthly goals... and a certain other condition in his adulthood.
The MC is born an illegitimate child to a very special family of wealthy merchants and has to climb and claw his way up in any way he sees fit. That means making a lot of difficult moral choices. He will endure the hardships of a post-Black plague Venetian city and society with the help of several obscure mentor figures with unknown purposes, (that may or may not bear his best interest in mind) and whose advice could prove to be as dangerous as their rage.

The game is divided in three stages:
*The first one, where you play as a child and contains NO SEX SCENES, but still shows plenty of blood and gore (since many of the choices imply killing some member of the family or the other, by arson, poisoning... And he has a first traumatic contact with necromancy) that helps with world building, establishing your MC's personality and preferences. It will also set a path for him, providing he doesn't die. It will be the shortest stage.
I want to make this "skipable" for players who have already gone through this part of the story and just want to reach the adulthood stage, by creating a questionary in order to fill the character sheet and continue.

*The second, where the character reaches adulthood and gets to be fully aware of the world that surrounds him. The kind of family he is part of. This is the point where he has to decide whether he wants to be a part of the "rat race" for immortality or not, once he has seen what is waiting for people on the other side. He will meet most of his potential lovers, allies and enemies and experience or inflict several degrees of abuse upon others. (WARNING: lots of taboos intertwined)
Depending on the kind of person you are by then, you can pursue a career in the Church, mortal world politics, or become a living saint with True Faith (and an extensive knowledge of the Evil that lurks within Christianity and how to fight it)

*If you have managed to convince the right people that one human life is not enough for you, a third stage will open for you. You will become even more aware of your place in the whole scheme of things and discover some painfully inconvenient truths. Immortality and magic do not solve problems, they just turn them into problems of a different sort.
This level will be the longest, involving several centuries of plotting and trying to survive your relatives, external forces and your own neurosis, anxieties and self destructive impulses. Friends will turn into enemies, enemies into lovers, and descendants into strangers. Help raising empires and watch them turn to dust.

So... by now you have probably guessed this is a Vampire the Masquerade: Dark Ages-based nonprofitable fangame and we will be unable to monetize it. That's why we can't offer paid work too.
It is based on my friends' characters and campaigns of old, as a love letter to our youth and the people we left behind. Cancer is a b...tch, and my main objective is to encourage people to donate to their local organizations and charities instead of doing it directly to me as a Dev.
Once again> it is a Free game.

The DEMO will reach to the start of the second stage and offer several hours of gameplay. Half of the writing for it (around 150k words aprox.) has already been done.
It will contain homosexual options and routes. Many of them, but it won't be limited to that. It is also planned to include NTR, because Medieval people were all about suffering and heavenly rewards lol
Don't hate me. :mrgreen:

alexei
Regular
Completed: re:shape, Monster Boys Doctor, Hearts and Hexes, The Prince's Heart, Dragon Gazer
Projects: Motifs, Longing for Change, The Sinking of the Dream Chaser, Town of the Damned, Monster Boy Wars
Organization: Funigami
itch: funigami
Discord: alexei#5190

Re: Horror NSFW game looking for...

#2 Post by alexei »

Have you thought of not not mentioning it's a vampire Masquerade? That way you'll be able to monetize it if you'd like.

Btw, I'm a writer, but I would like to participate in your project as a newbie artist if the position is open. Here are some free backgrounds I've made viewtopic.php?f=54&t=56871 by editing gpl photos.

Spoiledprince

#3 Post by Spoiledprince »

alexei wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:32 pm Have you thought of not not mentioning it's a vampire Masquerade? That way you'll be able to monetize it if you'd like.

Btw, I'm a writer, but I would like to participate in your project as a newbie artist if the position is open. Here are some free backgrounds I've made viewtopic.php?f=54&t=56871 by editing gpl photos.
Of course we've got an open position. The more, the merrier :)

About your suggestion... Well, we thought honesty to be the best policy because it will be obvious the moment they start playing it. It's a fangame after all, and while they could still shut us down at any moment with a "cease and desist" order, we are less likely to be sued and get into trouble. I'm not looking to make money but I don't want to lose it either lol
We could try and include the references somewhere, recommending our players to buy the original books and games *which are truly good, btw* instead of putting in upfront...
Monetizing it won't be worth the risk. Donations are ok, I think. Not sure lol
The initial idea is to put a simple, cute ad between acts with the legend "Some of these characters are immortal. You and your loved ones are not. Please donate to your local Cancer Investigation organizations and help them helping you" and give a cheap present to those who certify somehow they had. A quick portrait, posters, maybe a button pin or a key ring if I get my hands on a 3d printer... Mostly symbolic. 8)

Please, let me know what you think :)
My discord is Spoiledprince#0932

alexei
Regular
Completed: re:shape, Monster Boys Doctor, Hearts and Hexes, The Prince's Heart, Dragon Gazer
Projects: Motifs, Longing for Change, The Sinking of the Dream Chaser, Town of the Damned, Monster Boy Wars
Organization: Funigami
itch: funigami
Discord: alexei#5190

#4 Post by alexei »

Spoiledprince wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:28 pm
About your suggestion... Well, we thought honesty to be the best policy because it will be obvious the moment they start playing it. It's a fangame after all, and while they could still shut us down at any moment with a "cease and desist" order, we are less likely to be sued and get into trouble. I'm not looking to make money but I don't want to lose it either lol

Please, let me know what you think :)
My discord is Spoiledprince#0932
I mean you/we could follow an approach like Record of Lodoss war, eliminate references to Vampire Masquerade and develop something on your own. I did that for a series of books I'm writing/publishing.

The fact that it's a fun game doesn't mean you/we won't get sued. Unless you have written consent from the company, it's a risk. I'm all in for a free game and donating the revenue to local Cancer Investigation Organizations, but advertising it as a vampire masquerade game is troublesome.

I added you on discord.

Spoiledprince

#5 Post by Spoiledprince »

We could try doing that and say we are heavily inspired by them, which is true. Some things have been changed after all, as fairies and necromancy differ much from the WoD setting, and 90% of the action takes place in a single city, following historical facts.
I really thought that making it completely free would get us out of trouble, but since I was wrong, changes will have to get implemented. *sigh*

See you later on Discord :)