Android 11 and access to android/data folder

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
srksrk 68
Regular

Android 11 and access to android/data folder

#1 Post by srksrk 68 »

Hello,

until recently I was able to access the android/data folder of Ren'py games without problems using Anrdroid's file manager. I used this to install mods or to access the saves folder.

However, Android 11 changed the permissions so that basically no legal access to that folder is possible any more, even not for file managers. There is a complicated inofficial way with an internal filemanager (which is supposed to become obsolete in the foreseeable future), or via USB if you have access to a PC. However, not all of us have, and you cannot access secure folders like on Samsung devices via USB.

Is there a possibility to deal with this restriction? Especially not being able to share your saves migh be an issue, but also mod development will be no longer possible.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Android 11 and access to android/data folder

#2 Post by rayminator »

this has nothing to do with renpy it has something to do with android

you might have gain access with developer mode in android or you might have wait for a rooted patch for it

srksrk 68
Regular

#3 Post by srksrk 68 »

I am not asking for a way around the restriction to android/data. But it might be an option to make Ren'py look into some other publically accessible folder like some other apps do, e.g. a folder renpy/<game> on the internal memory or sd card. After all, it's not an option to ask a gamer to root his device just to install a mod or transfer his saves.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I'm not sure why this would need to be added to Ren'Py. You could add this to your own game - just have it search the sdk card for .rpym files, and load them in.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

srksrk 68
Regular

#5 Post by srksrk 68 »

The thing is, as I understand, that the idea behind putting stuff (mods, saves) into the android/data folder was that this folder was publically accessible. It no longer is, so there should be another option. Also, I am not modding my own game here. I want to install mods to games I did not make. And I want to transfer saves.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by rayminator »

as I said before it's on android side it's about folders permission (a security protection layer that android put in place to protect you from virus and that) the only other way to get by this is if the dev of that game that you want to mod that if he wrote a script that allows you to add mods to it or root your phone that's the only way to get full access

emanuel

#7 Post by emanuel »

It may be worth pointing out that save games are not secure, so it might not be a good idea to have your game scan the sd card. If it loads the wrong file, it can execute arbitrary code.

srksrk 68
Regular

#8 Post by srksrk 68 »

To all who are affected as well and still search for a solution: it appears that meanwhile some Android File Managers can overcome this restriction and access/write to the Android/data folder.