Protect files from unpackers

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Eliont
Regular
Completed: Begin of Evangelion, SAO - Smile of the black cat, SAO - Project "Ceramic Heart", Time for Dragons

Protect files from unpackers

#1 Post by Eliont »

Hello and good time of day.

Still no way to protect archived game files from unpacking by UnRen or similar tools?

Thanks in advance.

ichfly

Re: Protect files from unpackers

#2 Post by ichfly »

you can use my asset encryption project to protect your Images for extraction however it needs a lot of work to implement it --> https://github.com/ichfly/renpy-Asset-Protect.

uyjulian
Regular
Github: uyjulian

#3 Post by uyjulian »

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

This may also help.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50002&p=486050#p486049

While it does nothing to actually stop a player unarchiving the files, it does help confuse them when they cannot open a file they don't recognise (Although its not hard to get around if you know what you're looking at, as I demonstrated a couple of posts above)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Prandygame
Completed: Romance Dimensional
Projects: Romance Dimensional 2
Organization: Prandy Game
itch: prandygame.itch.io

#5 Post by Prandygame »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:40 pm This may also help.

While it does nothing to actually stop a player unarchiving the files, it does help confuse them when they cannot open a file they don't recognise (Although its not hard to get around if you know what you're looking at, as I demonstrated a couple of posts above)
What happens if the file extension changes?
There must be a simple way to protect the files, someone will have renpy configured to create a secure encryption, I hope that in the next renpy update this is resolved yes or yes.
My first game made in Renpy check it out.
https://prandygame.itch.io/visual-novel-romance

Prandygame
Completed: Romance Dimensional
Projects: Romance Dimensional 2
Organization: Prandy Game
itch: prandygame.itch.io

#6 Post by Prandygame »

Prandygame wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:06 am

There must be a simple way to protect the files, someone will have renpy configured to create a secure encryption, I hope that in the next renpy update this will be resolved yes or yes, I say that it is something essential, at least make it very difficult for the unpackers .
My first game made in Renpy check it out.
https://prandygame.itch.io/visual-novel-romance

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Andredron »

In my opinion, honestly, it would be better, instead of raping your brains over a plan to protect God knows what, it would be better to take up additional chips that will decorate your project.

I would take an example from the developers of the witcher, minecraft, this war of mine - yes, we do not like that our games are pirated, but we hope that having lost our game to pirates, they will like it so much that they will buy it.

For example, you will do protection for a month, and there will be some kind of uncle from Russia or Europe who will simply give a command to unpack through the console and the engine itself will unpack the files. And the proger that hides your project will tell you exactly as I am telling you now.

It would be better if you devoted a month to the project, there are parallaxes, wikis, references, the lore of the game painted, than to suffer garbage.

Protect those who have nothing to offer from the game itself, or as it was in the docks, another form of interaction with the user was made to increase his satisfaction from the time spent on the game (literally and figuratively)

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gas »

Andredron wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:11 am In my opinion, honestly, it would be better, instead of raping your brains over a plan to protect God knows what, it would be better to take up additional chips that will decorate your project.

I would take an example from the developers of the witcher, minecraft, this war of mine - yes, we do not like that our games are pirated, but we hope that having lost our game to pirates, they will like it so much that they will buy it.

For example, you will do protection for a month, and there will be some kind of uncle from Russia or Europe who will simply give a command to unpack through the console and the engine itself will unpack the files. And the proger that hides your project will tell you exactly as I am telling you now.

It would be better if you devoted a month to the project, there are parallaxes, wikis, references, the lore of the game painted, than to suffer garbage.

Protect those who have nothing to offer from the game itself, or as it was in the docks, another form of interaction with the user was made to increase his satisfaction from the time spent on the game (literally and figuratively)
Nice said. There's no "like" button in this forum, you'll deserve it.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

emanuel

#9 Post by emanuel »

Prandygame wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:06 am

There must be a simple way to protect the files, someone will have renpy configured to create a secure encryption, I hope that in the next renpy update this is resolved yes or yes.
This is technically impossible. As long as you can play the game, you will always be able to extract the assets. They simply have to be unencrypted for the system to be able to display them. It can be made more difficult, but it can't be made impossible. With the best encryption, people simply tap directly into the graphics card and pull the unencrypted data from there. The benefit would be that it requires some knowledge, but there are plenty of people who can do that. It's not worth the effort.

uyjulian
Regular
Github: uyjulian

#10 Post by uyjulian »

Simple rule of thumb is: if it can be seen by the user, it can be unpacked. See Widevine DRM for an "example"…

Renpie

#11 Post by Renpie »

I would be more worried about someone re-releasing your game as their own on some other platform and making money with it than some fan ripping game content.

Hide watermarks in your content and code.