How do I center the words?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
leon101

How do I center the words?

#1 Post by leon101 »

You know, center all of the text in the middle of the screen. The reason, I can't draw, so I'm going to use images off the internet for my stories, and as such, I won't have any shown characters. So much like, "The Forget me nots" I'm just going to have text, with bg. I guess I need to dim the bg too, so the text shows up better. How do I do that as well. Before anyone says anything, I am a newbie and this is my FIRST time using this program. I looked over the demo and "Question" game, but it doesn't answer this for me. So help please. :)
"Look into my eyes and it's easy to see, one and one make two, two and one make three, it was destiny."

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: How do I center the words?

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

like this

Code: Select all

centered "your text here"
with transition

centered "your text here" with dissolve
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

leon101

#3 Post by leon101 »

shank you very much! (not a typo by the way, I did that on purpose)
"Look into my eyes and it's easy to see, one and one make two, two and one make three, it was destiny."

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#4 Post by yummy »

Shank you!

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

hehe, maybe it's supposed to be sankyu-?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

leon101

#6 Post by leon101 »

You're both wrong. It's actually someone with an accent saying it. Like, saying "We" with a V.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by lordcloudx »

Ok, ve stand corrected. :twisted:

leon101

#8 Post by leon101 »

Ha ha! Oh... there's still one thing I need to know. Dimming the backgrounds. Let's see --- an example would be that "Little God" one I'm playing, when the words appear on the screen, the background dims, or darkens if you will. Making the words easier to read. I still need to know how to do that. Thanks in advance.

AlphaProspector
Regular
Completed: The Circular Gate
Projects: Yume no Sono, Hoshi Agari, The Circular Gate, Koenchu Yonogi Seiyu Story (こえんちゅ!)
Organization: Primum Soft
Soundcloud: Primum Soundblast

#9 Post by AlphaProspector »

leon101 wrote:Ha ha! Oh... there's still one thing I need to know. Dimming the backgrounds. Let's see --- an example would be that "Little God" one I'm playing, when the words appear on the screen, the background dims, or darkens if you will. Making the words easier to read. I still need to know how to do that. Thanks in advance.
You need a fade+dissolve for that kind of smooth transition if I'm not wrong.

hide bg XXXXXX with fade
show bg XXXXXXX with dissolve
That should do it. If it's an image and not a background then it's just "hide XXXX with fade".

You could also code a fade-to-white and use it as a "flash". Pretty neat. Check the Cookbook, I found it there.
Enjoy tranquillity. Paint reality with the colours of your imagination.

Primum Soft Website and Blog

Jake
Support Hero

#10 Post by Jake »

AlphaProspector wrote: You need a fade+dissolve for that kind of smooth transition if I'm not wrong.
If you fade the background, it'll go right out to black - which isn't the same as dimming it.

If you just want to dim the background, it's probably easier to show a semi-transparent solid black over the top. IIRC there's a 'black' defined in the options.rpy file as a Solid; I'd recommend copying that and reducing the alpha (the last parameter of the colour code given) to something like 25% (64), so you get something like:

init:
    $ dimmer =  Solid((0,0,0,64)) # create a 25%-opaque fullscreen black

start:
    # Show the first background
    scene bg whatever
    "pre-dim text"
    show dimmer with dissolve
    "post-dim text"
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

leon101

#11 Post by leon101 »

Wow, it's more complicated to dim the text then I thought it would be. Thanks for the help though. :D

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by monele »

Just my 2 cents but Little God simply used the NVL mode which puts the text in "full screen" and keeps previous sentences. When using NVL, dimming is done by giving a transparent black background to the text box. Is this what you were going for? Or do you really wanted something centered, one sentence at a time?

leon101

#13 Post by leon101 »

No, that's what I'm going for.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

http://renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/reference/NVL_Mode

This page is what you need then. Just tested it and its default setting should be what you're looking for.