Grayscaling & focus for tutorial?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
OrsonDeWitt
Regular

Grayscaling & focus for tutorial?

#1 Post by OrsonDeWitt »

Hi!
I've been trying to make a tutorial for my game, wherein as everything is explained it is also highlighted with a contour, or the whole of the screen is made into grayscale except for the part of the screen in question (say, as a colored square while everything else is gray). I assume Renpy doesn't know how to make a whole scene go grayscale, but I also wouldn't want to go through im.Grayscale'ing every image on my screen. Is there some hack to do this quickly and efficiently?
Thanks.
I cannot reply to messages anymore.
> Your IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Grayscaling & focus for tutorial?

#2 Post by philat »

Quick and dirty easy way to do this is to just show a semitransparent black image on top of everything, darkening everything. Either fiddle with the order of the black image or whatever you need not to be darkened to "highlight".

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#3 Post by Ocelot »

Another approach is to take screenshot, grayscale it, cut a hole in it and display over everything. While there is no public API to get taken screenshot as image, there are some functions RenPy uses internally, like renpy.game.interface.get_screenshot().
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#4 Post by Remix »

The professional approach (Ren'Py 7.4 and above) would be to add a transform to the master (and maybe screen/overlay too) layer that used a conditional grayscale shader to calculate whether to draw each pixel with colour or not.

That would still have the caveat that any buttons would still be clickable even though they were grayscaled... so perhaps a semi-transparent mask (as a NullAction focus_masked button) over the top (as philat suggested) would be best.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Remix »

Seems you can use blend "multiply" in 7.4.5 to use an overlay image where-in the pixel colour values are used to multiply against the pixel behind... Not quite grayscale though certainly usable for darkening areas that are not active.

I might run up an example if I get time this afternoon.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Remix »

Ren'Py 7.4.5 onwards...

Code: Select all

screen highlight_area(pos, size, bg="#455"):
    fixed:
        ## You could position and size this to just obscure a part of the screen
        add Transform(
            Flatten(Composite(
                (1280, 720), ## The size of the screen (or the obscured area)
                (0,0), Solid(bg),
                pos, Solid("#FFF", xysize=size))),
            blend = "multiply")

label start:
    show screen highlight_area( (50, 50), (150, 50) ) ## (xpos, ypos), (width, height)
    "Words"
    hide screen highlight_area

You could show that on a different layer to obscure everything behind it. (e.g. overlay or master)
As there are so many different ways to handle tutorial systems I have not shown anything more than just a very simple blend mask. If you wanted buttons deactivated etc you would need to handle that yourself.
Frameworks & Scriptlets: