Auto Highlight for Sprites

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
XT9K

Auto Highlight for Sprites

#1 Post by XT9K »

Been a while guys. But decided to release another code recipe for ya'll. Calling it Auto Highlight and it's made to give a subtle pop to sprites to help distinguish who's speaking in a scene.
There is some setup to using it, this is gone over in the code in the SETUP section near the top.
You can find it at the following links: Here are some examples of what it does.
AutoHighlightCover.gif
Example from Beyond the Harbor: r
BtHAHExample.gif
Example from Burrows
BurrowsExample.gif
This effect was originally requested of me while I was working on Where the Demon Lurks. But found it was useful on some other projects I help out with as well. And so, I decided to release it to the public for everyone to have access to it! It allows you to have sprites that move automatically based on who is speaking in the dialogue, without having to add in additional show statements for every time the speaker changes.
Most of the rundown is described in the code itself. So, be sure to check it out if you want to know how it all works.

Demo Credits:
Kota and Luke sprites are used with permission from Minotaur Hotel
Demo script was written with some friends of mine over in the FVN discord server. FVN is an 18+ discord. Please do not join if you are a minor!

Hope ya'll find some good uses for it. And if you have any questions, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to answer!

RicharDann
Veteran

Re: Auto Highlight for Sprites

#2 Post by RicharDann »

This is simply awesome, I have no words.

Thank you so, so much for making and sharing this!
The most important step is always the next one.