Is this style a bad idea for a VN?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Nightfade
Deviantart: N1ghtfad3
itch: Nightfades

Is this style a bad idea for a VN?

#1 Post by Nightfade »

I would say I am decent at best in art, and not good at worst. The only style I can contently do alright at is Chibi art, and that is not even the good kind of chibi art.

I am debating at trying to get better, because I just do not have the talent to get any better art drawling. Therefore, would this be a weird style to put in a VN?

As of right now, I only have drawn this with a secondary hairstyle.

marew603
Projects: A Dream That is Not My Reality
Organization: Skyrocket Studios
IRC Nick: Yuuki
Discord: marew603#0348

Re: Is this style a bad idea for a VN?

#2 Post by marew603 »

It's your visual novel, you can choose whatever style you want for it. If anything, it'll make yours more unique to have your own style instead of following the norm. I think it would fit, but it depends on the theme you're going for as well.

ConradAnime
Regular

#3 Post by ConradAnime »

Nightfade wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:28 am I would say I am decent at best in art, and not good at worst. The only style I can contently do alright at is Chibi art, and that is not even the good kind of chibi art.

I am debating at trying to get better, because I just do not have the talent to get any better art drawling. Therefore, would this be a weird style to put in a VN?

As of right now, I only have drawn this with a secondary hairstyle.
I think this is a goodstyle but your bg and other assets should match with the sprite style and color to make it stand out

BioMa
Completed: Occult Rewrite
Deviantart: Biomacchia
itch: Biomacchia
Discord: Biomacchia#0578

#4 Post by BioMa »

Virtualy any style can work as long as you have 1) Consistency and 2) Context.
If you can draw chibi, do it across the board. Do so for characters, the UI elements, backgrounds, music, everything.
For the costumer/reader, the more unified the art direction is and easy to understand/connect to, the better.

As for context, you should make sure the game's content and tone also complements the artstyle and vice-versa. If you're using cutesy art, the story should probably reflect it in tone (or you can use it as subversion which is more complex and harder to pull off effectively).
If Final Fantasy theatrhythm could do it, so can you!
The occult holds many mysteries. You'll find that 9 times outta 10 the answer to them can be lewd.
Check out Occult Rewrite, an Ero-Horror adventure game

exuin
Regular
Deviantart: ShatteredRe
Github: ShatReal
itch: ShatteredReality
Discord: ShatteredReality#7834

#5 Post by exuin »

Don't be so hard on yourself. Of course you can get better if you practice your art. It's not about talent.

Anyway, that style is fine for a visual novel. I would suggest putting more contrast on the face though, it's hard to make out the eyes.