Keyboard Focus and Viewports?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

Keyboard Focus and Viewports?

#1 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Is there a way to make keyboard/gamepad focusing to work properly with viewports and similar displayables? In my current projects, I find that I can't select anything inside a viewport unless I first highlight something inside it with my mouse. (When creating a similar layout without a viewport, focus works as I'd expect it to.) Is there something special that needs to be done to ensure that viewports and keyboard controls work well together?

(As a side note, even the default GUI in the most recent versions of Ren'Py, on which I based my current UI, doesn't have very good keyboard support. It seems to have the same issues, though some screens work a bit better than others.)
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series