AfterTech [cyberpunk][-mon series][dark themes?!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ShoujoDev
itch: shoujodev
Discord: Ghostie#1665

AfterTech [cyberpunk][-mon series][dark themes?!]

#1 Post by ShoujoDev »

I'm a female solo game developer and I'm working on my first full project. I have loved writing stories my whole life. I think that it's about time I start sharing some of those stories with people around the world. I think you'll like them a lot!
Check out the demo here!
The Story Thus Far...

Jonas is a hacker who stumbles upon a mysterious conspiracy online. During his investigation, he finds a lone egg in the wired, a virtual expanse of online connections. This egg soon hatches, and he meets a creature who assigns itself as his new best friend!

However, unknown to both of them, Jonas isn't the only one who uncovered a digital egg that day...

Stay tuned to find out what happens next, in AfterTech!

Let's Talk Setting
AfterTech takes place in the fictional city of Gitigan. Gitigan is a tower city situated on a massive core of thermonuclear energy. The area around the core is populated by sectors designated after letters of the alphabet. These sectors house the general population, typically the proles who've waived their rights as human beings to a megacorporation that houses them feeds them, and works them until they die.

In the middle of the city, there's a massive tower built on top of the core. This tower extends into a plate, revealing a society that lives in the sun, flowers, and fresh air. This plate is populated by darling gardens, from which the city gets its name. The plate is where the rich, and the important live their lives without a care in the world.

How About Characters?

Jonas
Jonas is the main character of this story. He's a hacker who doesn't take crap from anyone. However, during his work, he ends up stumbling upon a mysterious conspiracy that has very real consequences on the world around him.

Jonas' Partner
Jonas partner is a mysterious virtual beast born from an egg found in the depth of a mysterious server that Jonas had been tasked with hacking into. Whatever the creature's intentions are, it seems relatively harmless. Right?

The Mentor
The Mentor is someone who helped Jonas when he was just a kid. He taught Jonas all he knew, and the two are very close. Jonas hasn't heard from him since the incident that brought that mysterious Virtual Beast into the world.

The Mentor's Rival
A strange kid who was once in the same situation as Jonas. He was once the Mentor's student but soon moved far above and beyond what the Mentor was capable of teaching him. According to the Mentor, he's a complete sellout and even a traitor. He moved to live up on the plate as the lapdog of some megacorporation who appears to treat him incredibly well. He enjoys doing things for the sole purpose of making the others around him angry.

The Childhood Friend?!
A young lady who came from the same program as Jonas. However, she stayed in the program until adulthood and graduated at the top of her class. She was present during the day that mysterious virtual beast was born.

Nathan
He's just a kid, and he lives in the same neighbourhood as Jonas. His parents aren't around anymore, but he lives with his auntie. He often follows Jonas around and sees him as a big brother. His dream is to be a hacker like Jonas, who fights for his ideals and doesn't back down when he's challenged. However... Nathan is a very "hand's on" type of guy, and he'll often resort to violence because he doesn't know how to use his words. Because of this, he's often in trouble with law enforcement.

Anton
Anton is the replacement mechanical augmentation mechanic due to an incident that ended with the removal of Jonas' usual mechanic. Although he works on mechanical augments, he prefers working on cars, and big, heavy machines. He's a bit shy, and prefers the company of metal to other humans.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do I hope to get out of this thread?
I would really like to get some feedback on my demo from fellow VN developers, and VN enjoyers.
Outside of posting progress updates, I'd like to see what people think of features and plot points
before I fully flesh them out to add them to the game.
How should we begin our discussion?
Just tell me what you like, and dislike about my writing. I'm always looking to improve and to make myself more accessible to everyone.
Check out the demo here!
If you'd like to support my work, feel free to follow me on Twitter, Patreon, or Itch.io
https://twitter.com/ShoujoDev | https://www.patreon.com/ShoujoDev | https://shoujodev.itch.io/
Just do your best... There's no reason not to keep moving forward.