Crash Issues with Mobile Porting

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DarkChibiShadow
Regular
Completed: Tomai (BxB), Disaster Log C (GxG), One-Eyed Lee P.1 (Point-and-click)
Projects: Solanaceae: After All
Tumblr: dcsart
Deviantart: DarkChibiShadow
itch: darkchibishadow

Crash Issues with Mobile Porting

#1 Post by DarkChibiShadow »

Hello!

As I understand it, some of the new Ren'py updates make Android builds and other mobile versions a little less stable for less powerful phones, but I noticed my games seem to have a lot more crashes through places like Google Play when compared to other games made with Ren'py. (Though, I've only talked to one other person about this.) Before some of these recent updates, the games mostly ran fine, and I didn't make many changes aside from adding translations and reducing some image sizes.

So, my question is, does anyone have any advice on how to make an Android version of a game more stable?
(Or smaller? Or more secure? Honestly, I'm open to any kind of advice or details folks wanna give me about making the Android versions of my games better.)

Does Google Play now requiring an .aab have anything to do with this? Are .apk files more stable?

Thanks for your time!

MintGlow
Regular
Completed: Pippy's Ultimate Quest for Friendship (and Lessons)!!!, Myx's Bittersweet Musings, Sweetly Sweetened Sweets
Projects: Acquiesce, The Dose Makes The Poison
Deviantart: MintGlow
Soundcloud: MintGlow
itch: MintGlow
Discord: Carmints#6989

Re: Crash Issues with Mobile Porting

#2 Post by MintGlow »

Bumping. If anyone has any advice on this, I would like to know as well!

I have the exact same issue when porting to .aab for Google Play with crashes (on my own devices as well). Some people downloading my VNs from GP seem to complain about this;;, but for others, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I have no issues with my .apk files, and wonder if there's a way to convert .apk to .aab instead?
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I also notice that my loading splash screen gets overridden by the default Ren'Py one in .aab, but doesn't in .apk.

( And hi DCS!! A while back when I tried downloading some of your VNs from GP, it crashed so badly right after opening that I couldn't play it at all, even after uninstalling and reinstalling (specifically, Solanaceae: Another Time). If you find a way to improve it too, I'd like to try some of your games again on GP :D )

DarkChibiShadow
Regular
Completed: Tomai (BxB), Disaster Log C (GxG), One-Eyed Lee P.1 (Point-and-click)
Projects: Solanaceae: After All
Tumblr: dcsart
Deviantart: DarkChibiShadow
itch: darkchibishadow

#3 Post by DarkChibiShadow »

I've now opened up a Github issue about this, and if anyone else is having these issues, I would really be happy if you could chime in there, as I have very few statistics and am very new to reporting an issue.

https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/3643

I'm also going to be keeping a public list of devices we believe no longer support Ren'py games (at least through Google Play) so developers can exclude these devices from the start, to help avoid reviews saying "this game crashes" being posted over and over again. This seems to be one of the only solutions to this issue right now, so I hope it helps. (If you have a device to add, please let me know and I'll add it!)

Huawei Honor 8A
Huawei HUAWEI Y6s
Huawei HUAWEI Y6 2019
LGE K51S
LGE K22
LGE LG K30
Nokia Nokia 1.4
Oppo F11 Pro
Realme RMX3231
Samsung Galaxy A01
Samsung Galaxy M02
Samsung Galaxy A02s
Samsung Galaxy A10s
Samsung Galaxy A11
Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite
Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
Samsung Galaxy S10
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
Asus ROG Phone ll
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 2
Hotwav Symbol M1
Lenovo K5
Lenovo Lenovo Tab K11
Making Life Simple iQM960
Mito A67
Motorola Nexus 6
Multilaser Multilaser G Max
OnePlus OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus OnePlus Nord N100
Oppo A37t
Sony Xperia XZ
Vivo Y31
Vivo Y51A
Xiaomi MIX 2S
Xiaomi Redmi 5A
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Xiaomi Mi 10

In general, Android 11 seems to *overwhelmingly* have the problems with Ren'py, so be aware of that. Thanks everyone!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I'd also be very interested in a list of games that people are having trouble with and the version of Ren'Py used by those games.

I'd especially be interested in crash dumps, log.txt, and other data from these devices. I'm going to be running out to get a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite to see if I can repeat some of this myself, but I'd like to know the games people are having problems with.

Edit: I'd also be interested in other people's experiences with Ren'Py 7.4.11, 7.5.0, and 8.0.0 and Android 11.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom