Performance problems with ATL

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
thelastsecret
Regular
Completed: The Last Secret
Projects: Sweet Science – The Girls from Silversee Castle
itch: thelastsecret
Discord: TheLastSecret #5266

Performance problems with ATL

#1 Post by thelastsecret »

When I use ATL to make animations in Ren'Py all looks neat and all, but the CPU gets a full load which makes the fan of the laptop start. Not something you love to have during a quiet VN. This is always happening, even for fairly simple animations, e.g. a simple periodic glowing effect (alpha up and down) of one sprite or when a sprite slowly moves back and forth, so it's definitely not that this CPU load would be needed. (The problem does not occur, e.g., when I play full screen videos with Ren'Py!)
Anybody has any idea what's wrong there? And even better, how could I fix it?

I found this very old thread (so old that I didn't dare to reply there) which mentioned this problem, but came to no conclusion:
viewtopic.php?t=25698

About my laptop:
MacBook Air
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Thank you very much in advance!

DarkChibiShadow
Regular
Completed: Tomai (BxB), Disaster Log C (GxG), One-Eyed Lee P.1 (Point-and-click)
Projects: Solanaceae: After All
Tumblr: dcsart
Deviantart: DarkChibiShadow
itch: darkchibishadow

Re: Performance problems with ATL

#2 Post by DarkChibiShadow »

I have problems with performance when any Snowblossom affect is on the screen and then movement is done with ATL at the same time (it causes a lot of visual lag) so I'm bumping this thread because I'm very curious to see what people have to say. Good luck!