Recolouring Hair

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
VaanAshe
Regular
Projects: Halcyon High

Recolouring Hair

#1 Post by VaanAshe »

As such, I'm not sure where this exactly belongs, but I thought it's probably going to belong in this forum. Anywho...

I've got some characters, but they've all got purple hair at the moment (go ALICE.NET!!!). I'd like to recolour the hair, but when I tried it with Paint.NET, the result was a failure (to put it gently - let's just say that my blonde hair went green at bits, and I couldn't select it all with the magic wand anyway).

So, I'm wondering. Is there a program (which I can get for free) I can use to recolour stuff quickly and painlessly, and if not, does anyone have any ideas (or is willing to recolour the hair) on how I can change it?
LiveJournal and [url=http://myrrh_tree.livejournal.com/]Reviews[/url]... I has them

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Recolouring Hair

#2 Post by DaFool »

You can simply use im.matrix.hue to let Ren'Py color the hair for you during game runtime... Hue simply works similar to the hue function in Photoshop. Of course, you'd have to pop out the hair first from the rest of the graphic before you can do that.

dreamer

#3 Post by dreamer »

yeah... adjust hues in photoshop... or try selecting all the hair parts (is this what you meant by painful? :P) with the pen or lasso tool and add a color layer with blending mode set to color or overlay.

VaanAshe
Regular
Projects: Halcyon High

#4 Post by VaanAshe »

DaFool wrote:You can simply use im.matrix.hue to let Ren'Py color the hair for you during game runtime... Hue simply works similar to the hue function in Photoshop. Of course, you'd have to pop out the hair first from the rest of the graphic before you can do that.
I'll have a look into it.
dreamer wrote:yeah... adjust hues in photoshop... or try selecting all the hair parts (is this what you meant by painful? :P) with the pen or lasso tool and add a color layer with blending mode set to color or overlay.
Yeah, I was trying in Paint.NET to select the hair with the magic wand, and it was either selecting parts of the body, or selecting only bits of the hair (and changing bits to green when I accidently picked them up a second time).

As such, is it possible to transfer the doll set for ALICE.NET into ALICE 1.1, because I've got both on the computer. Alternatively, would it be possible to recolour the files before putting them into ALICE.NET?
LiveJournal and [url=http://myrrh_tree.livejournal.com/]Reviews[/url]... I has them

Jake
Support Hero

#5 Post by Jake »

Can you not save a sprite out with just the hair?
VaanAshe wrote: As such, is it possible to transfer the doll set for ALICE.NET into ALICE 1.1, because I've got both on the computer.
I was under the impression that the sprites for ALICE.NET were Ren's set, which were originally an original-ALICE doll...? You shouldn't need to even do anything, just find the original ALICE doll and use that instead?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Ren

#6 Post by Ren »

http://savefile.com/projects/808578932

Listen to him, he knows the truth :3

Mikan
Veteran

#7 Post by Mikan »

If it's photoshop..

Your best bet would be a hue layer. I'd also try to bring some life to the hair by using color balance.