Advices on how to get more views on itch.io? (for assets)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kogi_chan
itch: eufasy

Advices on how to get more views on itch.io? (for assets)

#1 Post by Kogi_chan »

Hello!

I'm a character and background artist. I recently started to make sprite sets and publish them on itch.io. Two of them are free, and one is paid. I know people talk a lot about strategies to get views for games (which I'm not too familiar anyways) but I don't know what to do to get more people to see my assets. I don't know if I have to try strategies outside itch.io. I use tags, screenshots of the asset and have detailed information about them, so I don't know what more to do. I started to think that maybe my art isn't good enough.

You can check the assets, if it's necessary: https://eufasy.itch.io/
Any advices, please?

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

Re: Advices on how to get more views on itch.io? (for assets)

#2 Post by Fuseblower »

I can't tell you where to post to get more eyes on your work because I don't have any idea myself.

But I can tell you this : posting on this forum and itch.io is not enough so I wouldn't worry about the quality of your art (which looks fine to me).

My own Halloween themed project The Doomed Diner has a couple of 1000 views on this forum and has all the right tags on itch.io but only got 4 downloads and about 10 views (and this is a free visual novel with 400+ water colors). Three of those four downloads were me, my sister and a friend of mine who I informed that it was ready for download and only 1 was from an itch.io user who got there by following the tags ("Halloween", "Visual Novel", etc.).

Personally, I don't think my own art and story telling sucks that bad that it only merits a single download out of a global audience. But it does tell me that the views on this forum mean next to nothing (could be search bots that are constantly scanning this forum) and that the itch.io tags are hardly used.

So, I can't tell you how to get more eyes on your art but I can tell you that merely posting on this forum and having the right itch.io tags is not enough, irrespective of the quality of the work.

Kogi_chan

#3 Post by Kogi_chan »

Thanks, at least I know I need to look for other places to post. Now the problem is which ones.
Also, your art looks cool.

HataVNI
Projects: Visual-Novel.info, Fuwanovel - I build communities, not games.
Organization: Visual Novel Info
itch: HataVNI
Discord: Hata#7192

#4 Post by HataVNI »

Kogi_chan wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:59 am Thanks, at least I know I need to look for other places to post. Now the problem is which ones.
You could always post them on our forum Fuwanovel! Also there is a list on fuwanovel.net which you can reach via the "Links" button where you can find a list of servers where developers hang around on! https://fuwanovel.net/fuwanovel-links/

Good luck!

Kogi_chan

#5 Post by Kogi_chan »

HataVNI wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:05 pm
Kogi_chan wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:59 am Thanks, at least I know I need to look for other places to post. Now the problem is which ones.
You could always post them on our forum Fuwanovel! Also there is a list on fuwanovel.net which you can reach via the "Links" button where you can find a list of servers where developers hang around on! https://fuwanovel.net/fuwanovel-links/

Good luck!
Thanks, I'll take a look!