Cut letters on previous sentences

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Karrion
Regular
Projects: Murder on the Marine Express
Organization: 1564 Studio
itch: 1564-studio

Cut letters on previous sentences

#1 Post by Karrion »

Is there a way to solve this? The G does not fully show until the next line is shown in its entirety. I remember being able to solve it by increasing the spacing between lines, but is there another way? We'd like to keep the spacing as is.

Thanks in advance!
1564 Studio, an indie studio dedicated to developing mystery VNs!
Follow us on Twitter for updates on our projects!

Check out our current project, just released on PC, Android, Switch, XBox ONE/Series S/X and PS4/5!
Also available in Spanish, English, French and Japanese!

m_from_space
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Cut letters on previous sentences

#2 Post by m_from_space »

Can you provide the style settings you are using for that font?

edit:

Yeah well, this happens with negative line_spacing. So atm you should set it at least to 0 regarding the text inside the say screen.
On the other hand, this could be considered a bug and you could file a report on https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues

Karrion
Regular
Projects: Murder on the Marine Express
Organization: 1564 Studio
itch: 1564-studio

#3 Post by Karrion »

Yup, changed from -5 to 0 and it stopped cutting. I always assume kerning or spacing at 0 means, well, no spacing or kerning, but for some reason, lines and letters seems to have some kind of bounding box so sometimes I have to use negative on both of those for the text to fit as it should.
1564 Studio, an indie studio dedicated to developing mystery VNs!
Follow us on Twitter for updates on our projects!

Check out our current project, just released on PC, Android, Switch, XBox ONE/Series S/X and PS4/5!
Also available in Spanish, English, French and Japanese!

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

#4 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

For the kerning thing, one thing to note is that, depending on the font, the glyphs may have more blank space than you'd expect. The only way to fully resolve that would be to modify the font glyphs yourself, which is probably more trouble than it would be worth here. (There may be more to the vertical spacing in word-wrapped text in Ren'Py, but I don't know the details of how that gets drawn.)

As for the cutoff issue from the first post, this is probably caused by how letter-by-letter display currently works in Ren'Py. If I understand it correctly, the full text is drawn and the game splits it into letter-sized chunks before displaying each chunk. So if you have negative spacing, any overlap of letters will cause display errors. (For instance, that lower part of "g" was considered part of the "om" boxes.) Without writing a much more complex system to do letter-by-letter display, I'm not sure how one would be able to prevent that issue.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series