Default window icon on Linux via Steam

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Default window icon on Linux via Steam

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all,

I have a couple of playtesters on Linux reporting that my game's window icon is staying as default. This is through Steam client FYI.

Icon is set to "steam" while other games have the Steam app ID:

Icon=steam (my game)
Icon=steam_icon_[steamappid] (other games)

I changed my window_icon.png and it works on Mac and Windows, but I do not have access to Linux myself so I'm unsure what's going on here. Do I need to set up the icon somewhere else? I'm using Ren'Py 7.6.

jeffster
Veteran

Re: Default window icon on Linux via Steam

#2 Post by jeffster »

On Linux it should be the same. There is a setting in options.rpy, and we can change either that setting or the default picture:

Code: Select all

## The icon displayed on the taskbar or dock.

define config.window_icon = "gui/my_icon.png"
and the icon is shown on the taskbar and on the window decoration/handle bar.

PS. I didn't test your game via Steam though.
If the problem is solved, please edit the original post and add [SOLVED] to the title. 8)

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Kinmoku »

jeffster wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:11 am On Linux it should be the same. There is a setting in options.rpy, and we can change either that setting or the default picture:

Code: Select all

## The icon displayed on the taskbar or dock.

define config.window_icon = "gui/my_icon.png"
and the icon is shown on the taskbar and on the window decoration/handle bar.

PS. I didn't test your game via Steam though.
Yeah, the icon doesn't show on Linux through the Steam client. It does for Mac and Windows, though. I'm unsure about Linux without the Steam client... :?

jeffster
Veteran

#4 Post by jeffster »

Kinmoku wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:17 am I'm unsure about Linux without the Steam client... :?
Linux without the Steam client shows icons properly, using latest Ren'Py, and I don't know of any such problems in the recent past.
If the problem is solved, please edit the original post and add [SOLVED] to the title. 8)

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#5 Post by Zetsubou »

If it's only not working on Steam, then check the "Client Icons" in steamworks in the community section.
For Windows it's a single ,ico file. For Mac a .icns file. For Linux it's a .zip file with several files in it called 512x512.png, 256x256.png, 128x128.png, and so on.
I think that only affects icons within the Steam client (and the desktop icon it creates).
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kinmoku »

Zetsubou wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:12 pm If it's only not working on Steam, then check the "Client Icons" in steamworks in the community section.
For Windows it's a single ,ico file. For Mac a .icns file. For Linux it's a .zip file with several files in it called 512x512.png, 256x256.png, 128x128.png, and so on.
I think that only affects icons within the Steam client (and the desktop icon it creates).
Ah, I think this is probably what I've missed. There are ico and icns files here but no zip. I'll try this, thank you!