Super Kitsune Kin [prototype][dungeon crawler][visual novel rpg]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
AvianByrd
Tumblr: AvianDeByrd

Super Kitsune Kin [prototype][dungeon crawler][visual novel rpg]

#1 Post by AvianByrd »

A link to what I have so far:

So I'm finally starting my game development journey and I'm starting my quest to make a game. I've had a lot of experience making visual novel games in flash a long time ago taking the time to learn ActionScript 2.0 and 3.0. Since Flash is no longer viable I've been spending the past 3 years learning how to making something spectacular in Renpy and I think I'm onto something here. I know I'm not the first person to try and make a dungeon crawler in Renpy but I feel that I have succeeded in that goal now. What I have here is not only viable, but it's also scalable as I can add a lot to it. It sadly still has it's limits though as I can only make hallways. My plan was to have rooms that had a 3x3 or 5x3 grid movement to it but alas the art assets and code proved to be way too situational for it to work. I might try again in the future but for now I'm cool with making hallways for players to get lost in.

The assets are also super simple too to help with just getting the code in working order. I wish I had more to show when it comes to story and characters but I can't focus on those until I have the dungeon in working order. Along with building some more of the dungeon to explore I'm also working on an automap feature that should help with exploring. I'm also going to start prototyping an RPG battle system to go along with this as well. This has been about a month worth of work as well as trial and error since I'm still kind of trying to figure out the code. I hope you all like it and I'm always willing to hear feedback on it to help out. Once I have enough worked out I will probably need testers to ensure the exploration is solid and the battle system is fun.

If you have any questions about this I would be happy to answer then. I'm not sure if I'm willing to share the code to this yet. It's still very rough and in need of continued optimizing. Once I have it at a functioning state along with the RPG system I'll be happy to share some elements to it. ^v^

AvianByrd
Tumblr: AvianDeByrd

Re: Super Kitsune Kin [prototype][dungeon crawler][visual novel rpg]

#2 Post by AvianByrd »

So I finally made some progress and I thought I would share it publicly here. In order to create dungeons that also feel like possible lived in spaces I had to change the way screen transitions happened when moving down a hallway into a room. The video below pretty much explains my thought process on how I eventually came to this. I admit it's still a little rough but I'm very happy with it. I'm still only in the idea phase at the moment and I'm still not totally sure what I want to do with this. Hopefully I'll have more updates to share in the future soon.