Small bug with config.menu_include_disabled

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RewindTheGame
Regular

Small bug with config.menu_include_disabled

#1 Post by RewindTheGame »

Hopefully this one should be easy to replicate.

I've found that, if I turn on the ability to have unselectable menu items greyed out by setting config.menu_include_disabled to True, and then save the game while a menu with greyed out items is displayed, all the greyed items vanish when the game is loaded. It's as though RenPy temporarily forgets the setting of config.menu_include_disabled after a load until the player leaves the menu.

I'm not sure if this is a general bug or just because I change the setting programmatically within the code rather than just in the config file - this feature is only required while the user is selecting the initial game mode (they need to see which modes have not been unlocked yet) and is not relevant within the game once started.

enaielei
Veteran
Organization: enaielei
Tumblr: enaielei
Deviantart: enaielei
Github: enaielei
Soundcloud: enaielei
itch: enaielei
Discord: enaielei#7487

Re: Small bug with config.menu_include_disabled

#2 Post by enaielei »

config variables are not meant to be tampered once in the game. That's why you see these variables use "define" rather than "default".

RewindTheGame
Regular

#3 Post by RewindTheGame »

Well then this is something that should be a feature. When the player is selecting which game version to play at the beginning (Normal, Director's Cut, etc), they should see all the options with the ones they haven't unlocked greyed out. During the game, though, you don't want to see all the unavailable items on menus. Rather than a configuration variable, this should just be something that can be turned on and off as required, in the same way you can turn rollback on and off at will.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#4 Post by Ocelot »

YOu can easily make nessesary modifications to the menu screen/screens yourself. Having both types of menus is not something that most people need and is better done as user extention instead of having it in RenPy core.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >