How does saves works & how they break?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mold.FF
Projects: Tiny Bunny, Crown of Leaves, Army Gals: Poker DLC, Galaxy Girls: Poker DLC

How does saves works & how they break?

#1 Post by mold.FF »

Hello everyone,

I'm working on episodic game, and every time our team make a new release, saves from previous episodes stops working. Occuring error was

Code: Select all

Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?
At first I thought thats because we also made a huge changes in the previous episodes. Later, when I stopped making changes in previous episodes, I thought I just missed something.
But now we just made a small changes in the lines and added a support of new language, and still one the players already reports the same error.
So I now understand that I don't know how does saves work and how to update game code without affecting them.

Can someone point me to what I need to pay extra attention?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: How does saves works & how they break?

#2 Post by Ocelot »

I suggest to read tis article: https://patreon.renpy.org/dev-2021-02.h ... d-releases

Telling what exactly was broken is hard without knowing what exactly was changed.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

mold.FF
Projects: Tiny Bunny, Crown of Leaves, Army Gals: Poker DLC, Galaxy Girls: Poker DLC

Re: How does saves works & how they break?

#3 Post by mold.FF »

Ocelot wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:39 am I suggest to read tis article: https://patreon.renpy.org/dev-2021-02.h ... d-releases

Telling what exactly was broken is hard without knowing what exactly was changed.
Thanks, that helped.
I've found what I did wrong.
I didn't keep the rpyc-files, I didn't know they that important here.