Tips for when hiring a artist for CGs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Boomerx1978

Tips for when hiring a artist for CGs?

#1 Post by Boomerx1978 »

I've looked around and found some artists who I know for sure I'd like to pay a commission for some CG works. But can anyone offer some general tips on what to do when trying to hire them to create CGs? I think the thing which bothers me most is the idea of sending someone money, who literally doesn't even live in the same country as me, and having to just cross my fingers that they'll come through on creating the artwork I pay them to do. The artists I'm looking at have twitter accounts and was going to contact them via it.

Peace!

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

Re: Tips for when hiring a artist for CGs?

#2 Post by Mutive »

A few thoughts...

1. Have a contract. Make sure that it spells out things like what you're requesting (X number of CGs), revisions (how many do you get before the artist is free to say, "no, you're being crazy, stop it"), timing (when is art due? When are character designs due?), payment, payment timing, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Also have clauses for what happens if you fail to pay or the artist fails to produce. This isn't going to guarantee a good outcome, but it definitely helps avoid issues.

2. Don't pay everything upfront. Pay a portion of the costs, with full payment due after delivery of watermarked copies. (This can be specified in the contract.) This makes it a bit harder for an artist to run away with *all* of your money (or alternately plead, "I'm sorry, I just got busy..." forever.)

3. It likely helps to pay through a system that is willing to refund you your money if the other side fails to deliver. (I used paypal, where I can start a dispute for up to 6 months, I think, if the artist didn't deliver.) I'd also have your contract designed around these dates, so that if the artist requests 50% payment then bails, you can take it up with the company you paid them through and potentially get a refund.
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Kogi_chan
itch: eufasy

#3 Post by Kogi_chan »

As an artist I give periodic updates on the commission because I understand that giving money before having anything may be a little stressful. But we artist ask for money before starting to work because there some people over there that get the product and never pay so we must be careful.
Also, if you are interested, there's a place called Fiverr where you can commission artist and it's pretty safe for clients

Tenshi-Yoru
Regular
Completed: Sprint down memory lane
Projects: Synthetizing Love (ongoing)
Tumblr: tenshi-yoru
itch: tenshi-yoru
Discord: tenshiyoru

#4 Post by Tenshi-Yoru »

I may be a bit late to this but I agree with what the people before me said. I do understand your fear or being scammed but we, as artists, face the same problem too, which is why most of us ask for payment upfront.

If they've worked on other projects, you could always contact the studios they worked with and ask for feedback, or try to negotiate a "50% upfront/50% at the end" deal.

Carefully read their T.o.S., in which they should clearly state their rules, and ask any questions about stuff you're worried about or that isn't specified.

Finally, try to communicate through e-mails. Chats can easily be deleted, while mails will always remain on your device and you will have proof of every conversation you've had.
On my end, I also always write a summary of the commission request I've received on the paypal invoice, so that both the commissioner and I know what needs to be done.
Check out my Itch.io account to see my games and visual novel assets!
ImageImage