Andy & Rob Presents!: "Andy & Rob Vs. A Brave New World"

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ChiCityFog
Completed: Andy & Rob Presents!: A Brave New World
Projects: Andy & Rob Presents!: A Halloween Special
itch: andyrobpresents

Andy & Rob Presents!: "Andy & Rob Vs. A Brave New World"

#1 Post by ChiCityFog »

Just completed my first game! I can't believe it guys, I started this journey back in October of last year. Even though I had a little python experience, I really basically learned the entirety of what I know now during the length of this project, trolling message boards endlessly for bits of helpful and/or cool code. I'm really happy with the result, check it out:

I describe it as loving homage to marijuana buddy humor (think Cheech & Chong, harold and kumar, dude where's my car, etc) but set in the frame of the overall millennial experience and the shit we've had to put up with since college spat us out (especially if you're on the older end, like me lol). In particular, I explore (and will continue to explore) the concept of nostalgia (particularly from the 80's and 90's) as the means by which many of us escape our crushing reality. I also lean really heavily on the concept of the City they live in as a character unto itself, the status of the neighborhood as a primally important and crucial social unit, and the importance of leaning on and relying on your neighbors. The art is something I'm particularly fond of, I describe it as heavy archie-comics themed with a touch of early lucas arts/sam and max. It's so good and captures the cartoony vibe perfectly. I'm not really a manga/anime guy so finding someone that will work with me on VN projects art wise was a bit of a challenge.

The game itself is a choose-your own adventure style with rpg elements (stats, ability check, inventory, etc). You play a person down on your luck, in need of a new apartment, and you happen upon these guys. The first adventure is you getting acclimated to your new reality. Admittedly very light compared to what I will do in the future. Again, I pretty much literally learned to code with this, I didn't have a lot of time for flow charts and whatnot. There's multiple, choice-and-stat-driven endings in this one tho, along with original music and I even managed to crank out some light animation (flip book style, it's pretty cool).

Some things to consider:

- Marijuana is a major theme. If that offends you, this is isn't for you.
- That being said, there's zero sex or nudity, so I don't *think* this counts as an AO type game. I apologize if I violated a rule here.
- There's a minigame I created inviting the reader to "smoke along" with the game. Moments are presented with visual cues. This is meant to be a sensory enhancement, a cool little add on to help with immersion only. It has no effect on gameplay.
- There's a cool scene with flashing lights. I don't know if it'll trigger epilepsy, but Im not a doctor. I put a visual cue in the scene before it to remind the reader to skip through if you think it might affect you.
- I'm aware the initial part of the game explaining the game is overly long and boring. In the future, I'll replace much of this with a "nintendo"- style game manual pdf, which will explain all of it in a more entertaining way, along with lore and stuff. This will be available for free with the game on itch.

That's it! I hope you guys consider it and have as much fun playing it as I had making it. It's available for download on pc/mac, and for online play at:

https://andyrobpresents.itch.io/