Stuck in (the good ol') Cube 36! [GxB] [Demo] 1/22

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sonorousgem
Regular

Stuck in (the good ol') Cube 36! [GxB] [Demo] 1/22

#1 Post by sonorousgem »

oops, I put in the wrong title last time ;P
oops, I put in the wrong title last time ;P
This will probably end up being my 2nd project. I didn't really know what other tags to put on it... western? historical fiction? science fiction? They all don't really fit... just read below and find out! ;D

Background:
map 3.png
Amy lives in Cube 5, a place much like Earth with a few small differences (e.g. people only live on the top face; it is possible to fall off the edge [not that people do that regularly]). Cube 5 is a part of the Cubian Galaxy, which contains about 40 Cubes with different inhabitants and communities that coexist peacefully. A king in Cube 1 rules over the entire galaxy, but each Cube has its own rules and whatnot.

Summary:
A week from graduation, Amy gets dumped by her friends, who claim that she gossips too much. As a result, she goes on her much anticipated trip to visit the king in Cube 1 with only her pet robot, Yolo. The trip becomes even worse when she and Yolo get lost and crash abruptly in Cube 36, a place with farms, cowboys, and everything else that gives Amy nightmares. Play as Amy as she tries to find a way out... or stays there forever.

Disclaimer: This game is not in any way historically or scientifically accurate (I mean, it can't be with farmers and cowboys in the same town XP). If it is, it's only a coincidence. (Sorry.)

Characters:

Amy
amy sprite2.png
Main character (not renameable). A rich, pretty high school graduate whose goal towards popularity ends abruptly when her friends leave her. She is practical but determined with a major one-track mind and is never afraid to pursue what she wants. While Amy can be stubborn and inconsiderate, she does have a conscience (deep down inside).

Yolo
yolo sprite2.png
Amy's "pet" robot who came as a gift for Amy's 13th birthday. Yolo is always loyal to Amy but is not particularly useful in any other way. He can't perform all his functions yet. Yolo is capable of emotion but prefers the logical approach to everything.

Tessa
tessa sprite2.png
Amy's friend since middle school. She prefers good grades to popularity. Ends her friendship with Amy when Amy gossips about her boyfriend.

Willy
yes, his plaid is messed up on purpose XD
yes, his plaid is messed up on purpose XD
A cheerful farmer from Cube 36 who takes Amy in when she and Yolo crash in his fields. Happy and kind but not as dumb as he might seem. Willy grows produce on his farm and makes robot pigs and space vehicles.

Seth
seth sprite2.png
An employee at the small town's general store. Seth is intelligent and good with words, but it doesn't make him happier with his work (...or his life in general). Dislikes rich people, let alone girls like Amy.

Jude
jude sprite2.png
The coolest cowboy in the Cube. But actually, he's quite the cold person. Maybe he's just shy?

Eliza
eliza sprite2.png
Willy's crush and Jude's ex-girlfriend. She was a cowgirl until she broke up with Jude.

The Banana Bandit
bandit sprite.png
The town bandit, notorious for stealing everyday objects like bananas.

Other Info:
I don't know how long this game will be... probably not that long (1 hour per path?). Right now I'm looking at 4 paths, 12 endings, but it could change.
Backgrounds will be from free resources by Uncle Mugen, Maospace, Halo34; I've also filtered photos originally from Fun Bedroom (lol), Hypevilla, Ayay Wallpapers, Caitlyn at Square Estate, Carney Logan Architects, Twaddle-Pedroli Ranch (Wikipedia lol) and Daniel Hagerman.
I intend to post screenshots and updates soon :D

Screenshots:
click to see it in actual dimensions :)
click to see it in actual dimensions :)
I'll probably change the textbox later
I'll probably change the textbox later
screenshot0003.png
Demo up!
Stuck in Cube 36-1.0-all.zip
(91.87 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
Any comments/suggestions appreciated!! :)

Questions!
1. Would you play this game? (it's okay if you wouldn't, but I'd like to know why! :) )
2. Would the historical/scientific inaccuracies and/or the accents of the characters bother you?
3. What do you think about Amy, the main character?
4. Which character interests you the most?
5. Anything else? :) (comments, suggestions, questions, etc.)
Last edited by sonorousgem on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

Re: Stuck in (the good ol') Cube 36! [GxB]

#2 Post by Didules »

Wow, you're already working on your second game! That's great!! :D So.....
Answers!!
1. Would you play this game? (it's okay if you wouldn't, but I'd like to know why! :) )
I can't see why I wouldn't, I liked your first game and want to try another one from you! And the story seems interesting, the world is... strange, but in a good way ^^ It has a lot of potential for a comedy story!
2. Would the historical/scientific inaccuracies and/or the accents of the characters bother you?
Not really because basically the cubian galaxy doesn't exists (does it?), so inaccuracies wouldn't be that strange in a sci-fi world like that! But, if there is too much inaccuracies, it can be a bit odd, so be careful (no flying cows for instance XD )
I have to be honest, from what I've read... I don't like her. ^^; I mean, for her friends to leave her, she really has to badmouth people A LOT! Of course, since I haven't play the whole game I can't say much, but right now I don't like her at all... She seems to be a brat in fact, will she change during the game?
YOLOOOOOOOOOO!! :D Sorry, I just find him really cute! Otherwise, I would say Seth, because Jude seems a bit cliché, and Willy looks quite... dumn, even though you wrote he wasn't that dumb.
Wow! You really improved your art, that's incredible! They all look great!!
Will you put as many CGs as there was in your previous game? (I kinda liked that ^^)
Oh, May I know why Amy wants to visit the king in the first cube? Does she have a reason?

Well then, good luck for your game! :D

sonorousgem
Regular

Re: Stuck in (the good ol') Cube 36! [GxB]

#3 Post by sonorousgem »

@Didules: Hello! Thank you :D The world is strange, isn't it (hm, I need to think more about this...)? I sort of want to make it into a comedy but I'm not funny, so I guess it'll just have some funny parts in it XD?
Didules wrote:But, if there is too much inaccuracies, it can be a bit odd, so be careful (no flying cows for instance XD )
Yeah, no flying cows XD it won't be that weird!
Didules wrote:I have to be honest, from what I've read... I don't like her. ^^; I mean, for her friends to leave her, she really has to badmouth people A LOT! Of course, since I haven't play the whole game I can't say much, but right now I don't like her at all... She seems to be a brat in fact, will she change during the game?
I'm not surprised, I've made her out to be a brat, lol- hopefully she won't be too bad. Yeah, she can change if you make certain choices ;)
Glad you like Yolo :D Also I guess you're right, I haven't revealed a lot about Jude and he does seem cliche, but maybe he won't be when you get to know him :) ...Yeah, Willy looks dumb, but he can make up for that with his personality, right? ;D
Didules wrote:Wow! You really improved your art, that's incredible! They all look great!!
Will you put as many CGs as there was in your previous game? (I kinda liked that ^^)
Oh, May I know why Amy wants to visit the king in the first cube? Does she have a reason?
Thank you! but I don't know if I'll put in as many CGs... I haven't decided yet. I'll definitely consider it though!
I should have said this, but space travel is kinda rare, even in the richer Cubes. Amy's a distant relative of the king so it's a privilege for her to visit him after she graduates.
Thank you so much for your answers! I really appreciate it ^.^

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: Stuck in (the good ol') Cube 36! [GxB] [Demo] 1/22

#4 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Hey! I LOVED the demo! Amy is honestly so funny and the art is super cute~~! Can't wait to play the real thing!
Duh~!
Nope. I'm down with it.
She's super funny, realistic and super cute:*
Seth~
The idea of the whole thing was honestly brilliant! Very unique and fun to play. Good luck with progress :)
i'll cry if you yell at me

sonorousgem
Regular

#5 Post by sonorousgem »

@silverpikachu99: Thank you so much for your feedback! *o* I'm glad you don't hate Amy XD

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#6 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Has this game been discontinued? It would be a shame, because I truly enjoyed it.