Help with building Renpy itself using renpy-build

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Help with building Renpy itself using renpy-build

#1 Post by m_from_space »

So since Renpy doesn't ship with "sqlite3" (which is normally part of the Python standard library), I wanted to compile Renpy myself and include that library. Now that was the easy idea and I assumed it won't be easy to execute. Now here it what I managed to make happen:

1. I followed the instructions on how to setup renpy-build inside a virtual machine (VM) here: https://github.com/renpy/renpy-build (dear god, that iOS stuff was the hardest part, I even had to create a stupid AppleID for it, but that's how much I wanted it)
2. I included the "amalgamation" version of sqlite3 inside the extensions folder, meaning I added sqlite3.c and sqlite3.h and inserted an entry in the Setup file of that folder as instructed there
3. I built renpy-build successfully for my system (python3, linux, x86_64)
4. I then moved to the "renpy-build/renpy" folder, followed the instructions inside the Readme and installed Renpy on the system VM inside the virtualenv (I have no clue if that step was even necessary for building a distribution, but oh well)
5. Now I wanted to build a distribution of that "unofficial" Renpy version, so I can get it out of the VM and actually work with it. So I figured I have to run "distribute.py" inside the current folder using the python version inside "lib".
6. And here comes an error that clearly has to do with sqlite3 and I don't know what I did wrong

Code: Select all

./python: symbol lookup error: /home/rb/renpy-build/renpy/lib/py3-linux-x86_64/librenpython.so: undefined symbol: PyInit_sqlite3
I hope at least one person other than Tom would be able to help me out here, because at this point I am stuck. I am not familiar with building complex projects like this at all, so I'm sorry, if you have to shake your head about it.