Lagging mouse cursor on 4K?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Lagging mouse cursor on 4K?

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all,

I have a player who has reported the mouse cursor lagging when in fullscreen mode on 4K60 display. They say it runs fine when windowed, though.

Unfortunately, I don't have a monitor to test this on (mine is 2560x1440) and it works fine in fullscreen. I wondered if this was a problem with Renpy 7.6, or maybe my custom mouse cursor?

Code: Select all

define config.mouse = { }
define config.mouse['default'] = [ ( "gui/mouse.png", 0, 0) ]
The build they are experiencing the problem is using Renpy 7.6.0.23031904. I plan on updating the next build with Renpy 7.6.2 – Unsure if this is will fix it or if this is a known issue? I imagine using a custom cursor could be the problem, though it's only a still image (mouse.png).

[EDIT] My game's default resolution is 1920x1080.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Lagging mouse cursor on 4K?

#2 Post by PyTom »

The mouse should be hardware accelerated, so if it's slow, that's more likely to have something to do with something other than Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Kinmoku »

PyTom wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:09 am The mouse should be hardware accelerated, so if it's slow, that's more likely to have something to do with something other than Ren'Py.
They say it works fine outside of the game, though (and when it's in window mode). Some more info from them:
One very odd thing is if I have a window or anything (e.g. start menu) in focus, then it still highlights objects within the game when I mouse over them, but the lag isn't there anymore.

I found dropping my refresh rate to 30fps (still 2160p) fixed the issue, so it does seem to be something unique to 4K60

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by m_from_space »

I think it's especially weird that in fullscreen it lags, while in windowed mode it does not. Usually it's the other way around when it comes to graphical performance. Maybe the person should try installing latest graphics drivers and check if that helps.

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Kinmoku »

Update:
To give the technical explanation -
My house has 3x 4K60 devices that are split off from my PC via a single HDMI port via a splitter device.
To save EDID renegotiation, I have a device that sits between my PC and the splitter device that fakes the EDID information, so the PC thinks all 3 monitors are the same thing
If I adjust the faked EDID to use a YCbCr420 colour format instead of RGB then the issue goes away (put simply - this is an EDID that allows HDR)
I can toggle between them and the issue appears/disappears

All I'm doing in reality is forcing all 3x 4K60 devices to pretend to be my HDR projector, instead of pretending to be a Samsung TV which doesnt support HDR very well
This is above me but thought it was worth mentioning. It seems like the player has found a fix for themselves anyway.