How do you guys organize your .rpy files?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Cat_Bardy
IRC Nick: Bardy

How do you guys organize your .rpy files?

#1 Post by Cat_Bardy »

Do you prefer to keep all the screens and dialogue in their own separate .rpy files, or would you rather keep every single line of code all in one big .rpy file?
No wrong answers of course, just wondering what works for other people. I'm still very new and want to know what works for other people. All my .rpy files are extremely disorganized lol

Ben The Sodaman

Re: How do you guys organize your .rpy files?

#2 Post by Ben The Sodaman »

On a small project (and I imagine if I were doing something bigger), I'd like to keep the chapters in their own .rpy files.

Where the small project had a Prologue and a Chapter 1 file separate from the script.

And as the top of my Script file grows in size, I suspect I will revisit a Branch/Choices file. Where the variables, jumps to chapters or scenes if conditionals are met, and comments on where or what the path is may end up.

RizVN
Regular
Completed: "Love is War (Remake)", "Mahou Shoujo: Magical Shota", "Vampire Hunter", "How to Win Girls and Influence People", "Hayase Yuuka Love is War [Blue Archive Fangame]"
Projects: "DELIIDOL"
itch: rizvn

Re: How do you guys organize your .rpy files?

#3 Post by RizVN »

I separate assets into their own folders.

My story folder is further divided into folders for each chapter. Only then will I write a .rpy for a sub-chapter in that folder.

As for musics, sprites, and backgrounds, I write their own .rpy in the game main folder.

This way, I find it easy to update the game later on. Because I can just quickly edit the necessary .rpy and it's easy to see in github what specifically changed with each update.
Check out these cute games:
Love is War (Remake) (Romance-comedy)
How to Win Girls and Influence People (Romance-comedy)
DELIIDOL (Romance-drama)
Mahou Shoujo: Magical Shota (Romance-drama)