Coming up with good story/plot

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
rufusshinra

Coming up with good story/plot

#1 Post by rufusshinra »

Hi,
I have been tinkering with renpy for a while and have some experience with it technically. With previous python experience it is also easier.
However, I really struggle with a fun story/ gameplay idea to make. I am trying to read various Gurps games, like warhammer, cyberpunk 2020, d&d etc.

I am trying to make a simulation/rpg game. But not have very complicated stats like strength, agility, dexterity. No but I want to have some other simple stats. And then there is the problem of finding and fleshing out engaging storyline. I don't like VNs that doesn't give choices. I want the game to have some challenges to make it interesting but not extremely hard to play.

What methods do you apply to come up with fun engaging story and gameplay mechanics.

RizVN
Regular
Completed: "Love is War (Remake)", "Mahou Shoujo: Magical Shota", "Vampire Hunter", "How to Win Girls and Influence People", "Hayase Yuuka Love is War [Blue Archive Fangame]"
Projects: "DELIIDOL"
itch: rizvn

Re: Coming up with good story/plot

#2 Post by RizVN »

Disclaimer: I am a newbie myself who have only published 4 short VNs and have written barely around 50k+ words combined, so don't blindly trust my advice.

Now, the way I come up with a story is by creating good characters.

Characters with conflicting ideals create their own story.

Even if their ideals are the same, you can have them fight each other and it becomes a good plot. Think Danganronpa or FSN.

If it's rom-com, I use archetype personality (such as Tsundere/Cheerful/Timid, etc.), then write a little backstory that support their archetype.

Once the character is ready, I put them to the stage and have them act the story.

So my job is more like a director and editor rather than a writer.

I hope this helps.
Check out these cute games:
Love is War (Remake) (Romance-comedy)
How to Win Girls and Influence People (Romance-comedy)
DELIIDOL (Romance-drama)
Mahou Shoujo: Magical Shota (Romance-drama)

Two Dollars
Deviantart: SophomoricEnt

Re: Coming up with good story/plot

#3 Post by Two Dollars »

Start with the end and work backwards. How the conflict resolves itself at the end is the most important part of any work. Then you can write the beginning that foreshadows the end. Everything in between is foreshadowing, filler and red herrings.

1. What is the central conflict? example: Should Rick Blaine help the Allies or stay neutral?

2. You want multiple endings you said, so how many believable ways are there that the central conflict can resolve itself at the end. example: 1) Go off with Louis to fight the Nazis or 2) Go off with Ilsa and totally ignore WWII is going on?

3. Now you need beginning that foreshadows the end. With multiple endings you need to foreshadow both of them. example: you ran guns to the communists in Spain and to the Ethiopians so are likely to help the Allies, but you are really jaded now so perhaps just as likely to stay neutral.

4. You need to keep foreshadowing but everything in between the beginning and end is filler. It needs to be interesting filler, but filler none the less. example: You sell Rick's Cafe to Signor Ferrari.