Save File compatibility issue upon updating

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
scribble_r

Save File compatibility issue upon updating

#1 Post by scribble_r »

Hello, sorry to bother everyone! I recently released a game using Ren'py 7.5.1, however, some players were reporting issues with steam deck functionality (frequent freezing). I saw that another dev managed to fix this by updating to one of the nightly builds of Ren'Py (8.1.0.22121301)https://steamcommunity.com/app/1609230/ ... 876/?ctp=2, and nothing in the game seemed to break, and the issue was resolved! However....
It seems that trying to load older saves is now broken >_< Not every single older save file, but many of them, and I would prefer not to inconvenience the people playing right now if possible. Even when I change the version of Ren'Py it runs on to the last stable release (8.0.3), the crashing issue upon loading an old save file occurs. Does anyone have an idea of why this might be happening?

Here is the traceback:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 463, in __call__
renpy.load(fn)
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
python hide:
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\ast.py", line 1132, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\python.py", line 1085, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
python hide:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
ui.interact()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\ui.py", line 299, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\core.py", line 3415, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\core.py", line 4310, in interact_core
rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1173, in event
rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\transition.py", line 53, in event
return self.new_widget.event(ev, x, y, st) # E1101
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1173, in event
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\screen.py", line 743, in event
rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\layout.py", line 279, in event
rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 1089, in event
return handle_click(self.clicked)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 1024, in handle_click
rv = run(action)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 344, in run
return action(*args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 463, in __call__
renpy.load(fn)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\loadsave.py", line 779, in load
log.unfreeze(roots, label="_after_load")
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\rollback.py", line 1078, in unfreeze
self.rollback(0, force=True, label=label, greedy=greedy, on_load=True)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\rollback.py", line 889, in rollback
self.load_failed()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Queen Beast\renpy\rollback.py", line 807, in load_failed
raise Exception("Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?")
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?

Windows-10-10.0.22000 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.0.22121301n
Queen Beast 1.22
Thu Jan 5 07:23:55 2023
Thanks so much and sorry if I'm overlooking something very obvious ^^;!!

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Save File compatibility issue upon updating

#2 Post by rayminator »

going from Ren'py 7.5.1 to Ren'py 8.0.3 not a good idea

Ren'py 7.5.1 uses python 2
Ren'py 8.0.3 uses python 3

that's why you are getting (maybe)

if you still want to use Ren'py 8.0.3 you will need to do a major update on your code change it from python 2 to python 3

if there was a major change in your game when you were using Ren'py 7.5.1 it best to start a new game and not to use a old save from a old version of your game cause you might of remove a couple of lines where they saved from or something like that

scribble_r

#3 Post by scribble_r »

rayminator wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:03 pm going from Ren'py 7.5.1 to Ren'py 8.0.3 not a good idea

Ren'py 7.5.1 uses python 2
Ren'py 8.0.3 uses python 3

that's why you are getting (maybe)

if you still want to use Ren'py 8.0.3 you will need to do a major update on your code change it from python 2 to python 3

if there was a major change in your game when you were using Ren'py 7.5.1 it best to start a new game and not to use a old save from a old version of your game cause you might of remove a couple of lines where they saved from or something like that
I tried updating to the latest Ren'Py 7 version instead, but I got the same issue, unfortunately >_<... everything else about the game seems to run fine, but when I use the original version we built the game on, the Steam Deck freezing issue still seems to occur for a significant portion of people orz
Thank you for helping!

korytoombs

#4 Post by korytoombs »

I'm using this version of Ren'Py and someone with a Steam Deck reported an issue. Would a newer version of Ren'Py 7 solve this issue.

Thank you.