Transitions stopped working after I used the speech bubble feature.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
pixelSeaScrub

Transitions stopped working after I used the speech bubble feature.

#1 Post by pixelSeaScrub »

Exactly what it says in the title.
My transitions (mostly dissolve) stopped working after I implemented the new speech bubble feature - I didn't get an error message or anything, they just stopped.
Otherwise, my game works fine.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Transitions stopped working after I used the speech bubble feature.

#2 Post by m_from_space »

pixelSeaScrub wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:45 pm Exactly what it says in the title.
Hey, well... can you elaborate on what exactly you implemented and what exactly stopped working? I know it sounds like I didn't read what you said. But can you give us a small example that we can try to use to reproduce the issue?

pixelSeaScrub

#3 Post by pixelSeaScrub »

Hi, sorry it took me so long to reply, my week has been hectic. Anyway, before I had my code like normal, mostly. I'd defined my characters, and I have separate characters depending on the style (ADV, NVL, and Bubble). There's a mini game in my game as well, but it has no speaking lines and is in another file, so idk if it had anything to do with it.

Idk what else to say, it's kinda just a normal renpy project. I just changed the speaking character from one that uses ADV to one that uses Bubbles, on lines I'd already written. Didn't change anything else.

Example (in pseudo code):

define char = Character(style=ADV)
define charBub = Character(style=Bubble)

start:
scene image "main background" with Dissolve(.5)
charBub "Hello"

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#5 Post by Donmai »

Have you checked if "Skip Preferences" was accidentally activated in your project?
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)