Renpy 3D camera - doesn't work when skipping

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Renpy 3D camera - doesn't work when skipping

#1 Post by minyan »

I've noticed that the 3D camera will jump around to places it shouldn't when skipping, as if the camera can't quite finish its movement during the skip. I've seen this problem with sprites losing their position when skipping, and was able to fix it by redefining their positions before menus. However, this trick isn't working for the camera. Short of removing the skip button, does anyone have any advice for how to ensure the camera is working properly even during a skip?
ImageImage

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Renpy 3D camera - doesn't work when skipping

#2 Post by m_from_space »

In my game I make sure to check if Renpy is skipping before larger animations happen. If it's skipping, I don't execute those animations (because why even bother, if the player has ADHD to begin with). ;)

Code: Select all

if not renpy.is_skipping():
    # my animation code

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Re: Renpy 3D camera - doesn't work when skipping

#3 Post by minyan »

m_from_space wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:44 am In my game I make sure to check if Renpy is skipping before larger animations happen. If it's skipping, I don't execute those animations (because why even bother, if the player has ADHD to begin with). ;)

Code: Select all

if not renpy.is_skipping():
    # my animation code
This is a really good idea, thank you!! I didn’t know this was possible. I’ll try it out!
ImageImage