Best way to add patreon-only content to your game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Adrian_DVL
Regular
Completed: Clockwork Poison
Projects: Melodic Dates, Clockwork Poison: Salvation

Best way to add patreon-only content to your game

#1 Post by Adrian_DVL »

Hi friends! How's it going?

I was just wondering... What would be the best way to implement content that's only available for certain people, like for instance people on a certain tier on Patreon, on your game?

I've been mumbling around the idea of adding a DLC to my most successful game, Melodic Dates, and I'd like to add some kind of exclusive content only available for patrons, so I'd like to know how you think it's the most reliable and safe way to do that.

I've been thinking of adding number codes to the code and giving them to those patrons, but that's not really safe, since they could share those codes with other people.

How would you guys do that?

MapletreePaper
Regular
Projects: Language Barrier
Organization: Naval Maple Media
Discord: MapletreePaper

Re: Best way to add patreon-only content to your game

#2 Post by MapletreePaper »

I've never dealt with Patreon as a game dev, but I think most devs who do use it rely on trust. They trust that their patrons won't leak exclusive content. And if a leak does happen, their reaction is usually reactive, not proactive. I assume this "solution" won't satisfy your needs, so let's move past it.

Other than Patreon, where is your game available? If put your game on GOG, you can make the DLCs private and give your patrons redeem codes for them. A redeem code can only be associated with one account, so a patron can't share it with all of their friends. And before you ask, yes, unlike Steam, GOG does allow adult games on their platform. :wink:

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

MapletreePaper wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:47 pm I've never dealt with Patreon as a game dev, but I think most devs who do use it rely on trust. They trust that their patrons won't leak exclusive content. And if a leak does happen, their reaction is usually reactive, not proactive. I assume this "solution" won't satisfy your needs, so let's move past it.

Other than Patreon, where is your game available? If put your game on GOG, you can make the DLCs private and give your patrons redeem codes for them. A redeem code can only be associated with one account, so a patron can't share it with all of their friends. And before you ask, yes, unlike Steam, GOG does allow adult games on their platform. :wink:
Itch.io also allows this same system, though I am unfamiliar with using it.
As to steam not allowing adult games on their platform, I don't know why this comment was mentioned or is even relevant, but it is incorrect. Steam also allows Adult games on their platform, however they do have more restrictions regarding obeying the various laws around banned content.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

MapletreePaper
Regular

#4 Post by MapletreePaper »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:52 am
As to steam not allowing adult games on their platform, I don't know why this comment was mentioned or is even relevant, but it is incorrect. Steam also allows Adult games on their platform, however they do have more restrictions regarding obeying the various laws around banned content.
It's relevant because OP makes adult games. I was talking to them directly, so I didn't think to mention that for the sake of others. Regarding Steam's polices, I've heard people complain that [insert adult game here] was censored or not allowed on Steam altogether. I somehow got it in my head that all adult games were banned. I'll admit, I was wrong.
Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:52 am
Itch.io also allows this same system
This is true, but Itch doesn't have proper support for DLCs. You'd have to publish a unique version of the game for each DLC combination. This is doable for one or two DLCs, but the number of combinations grows exponentially for three and beyond. Maybe I should've mentioned Itch anyway, but I was trying to future proof this for OP.

Adrian_DVL
Regular
Completed: Clockwork Poison
Projects: Melodic Dates, Clockwork Poison: Salvation

#5 Post by Adrian_DVL »

MapletreePaper wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:47 pm I've never dealt with Patreon as a game dev, but I think most devs who do use it rely on trust. They trust that their patrons won't leak exclusive content. And if a leak does happen, their reaction is usually reactive, not proactive. I assume this "solution" won't satisfy your needs, so let's move past it.

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:52 am Itch.io also allows this same system, though I am unfamiliar with using it.
Alright, truth is I had never considered GOG or itch.io, I've always uploaded my games to servers to release them by myself.
Either way -and this may be considered as a technical Renpy question-, would there be any way to make some sort of redeem code without platforms like GOG with accounts being involved? A code that once used, no one else can use it? It seems impossible, since one build is the same for everyone and can't be 'updated' in any way...

MapletreePaper
Regular

#6 Post by MapletreePaper »

Adrian_DVL wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:06 pm Either way -and this may be considered as a technical Renpy question-, would there be any way to make some sort of redeem code without platforms like GOG with accounts being involved? A code that once used, no one else can use it? It seems impossible, since one build is the same for everyone and can't be 'updated' in any way...
It's certainly possible, but you would need to build your own mini version of Steam or GOG. Since you're asking this question, I assume you would need to hire a freelancer to do that, which can get quite expensive. If you ask me, it's much more practical just to use an established platform.