Katyusha's Cap [Winter VN Jam 2023]

Because less is more: Noncommercial games of < 1 hour playtime and < 2 month development time.
Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

Katyusha's Cap [Winter VN Jam 2023]

#1 Post by Fuseblower »

So, I've joined the Winter Visual Novel Jam again (this might become a habit). The VN is called "Katyusha's Cap" and is a little doujinshi inspired by the popular "Girls und Panzer".

For those who don't know about "Girls und Panzer" : it's basically about girls from different schools who have matches against each other with real tanks. Somehow "tankery" is a completely safe sport.

"Katyusha's Cap" focuses on Nina and Alina of the Russian inspired "Pravda" team. These are minor characters in the anime operating the heavy KV-2 tank. They get lost in a blizzard and run out of gas during a match while in possession of Katyusha's cap. Katyusha is the captain of the Pravda team, a kind of chibi Stalin, loved as much as feared by the team members.

The hapless duo gets captured by the team they're fighting against : the powerful Kuromorimine ("Schwarzwaldspitze") led by Erika Itsumi, a German inspired team.

The goal is clear : they need to escape and deliver Katyusha's cap back to her owner (and perhaps swing the match to Pravda's advantage).

Backgrounds are all finished already. Ten in total (might add a couple more if time allows).

Water colors as usual.

There are 10 characters in the whole game. Nina and Alina, the main characters. Erika, Koume, Leila, Emi and Meg, the Kuromorimine characters and Pepperoni from Anzio as a kind of exchange student. Finally : Katyusha and Nonna from Pravda.

Since this is a WIP, here are some of the heads I use in the dialog box in the process of being made. Unlike the sprites and backgrounds, these are done with markers and colored pencils.

That's it for now. The previous Winter VN ("Slushball Slasher") got the critique that the dialog box and the sounds were a bit sub par so I'll concentrate more on those things.

Fuseblower
Regular

Re: Katyusha's Cap [Winter VN Jam 2023]

#2 Post by Fuseblower »

Gonna be a bit of a photo finish to get this one in time for the jam. Might drop the branching stuff in favor of a kinetic story. We'll see where the ship strands :lol:

KatCap1.jpg
KatCap1.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 3680 times

Fuseblower
Regular

Re: Katyusha's Cap [Winter VN Jam 2023]

#3 Post by Fuseblower »

I've changed my mind. What good is it to spend all this time on the graphics only to half-ass the story on account of a jam that isn't even ranked? I won't finish Katyusha's Cap in time for the jam but in return it can have a branching story and some funny CGs. Also, I had this idea to have an animated menu with those Russian "matrushka dolls". I shiver at the prospect that I might have to put in some of that blasphemous Python code for that one...

"I am not an animal! I'm a human being! dammit!" - contributed to an anonymous C programmer forced to code in Python :lol:

Leila.jpg
Leila.jpg (71.37 KiB) Viewed 2875 times