Trouble showing images on top of a full size screen while keeping the "say" screen functional. [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
KingmakerVN
Regular
Projects: Kingmaker

Trouble showing images on top of a full size screen while keeping the "say" screen functional. [Solved]

#1 Post by KingmakerVN »

Hi! I know my question is a mouthful, hopefully this image will illustrate it better.

Basically I have this map screen that covers the whole screen. And I'm trying to create a tutorial for it. So I thought it would be fun if I could have characters speaking over it as they explain it. However, I believe that any image that I show with the show statement immediately goes below the screen, hiding the character. So my question is, how could I make it so the images are shown on top of it?

The way I did it was in this order.

show screen x

show image y

The second issue that I ran into, and I once again think is caused due to the size of the map screen, is that it's no longer possible to keep the dialogue moving. As soon as the screen appears you can't move to the next piece of text. And even the skip button does nothing.
Last edited by KingmakerVN on Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Trouble showing images on top of a full size screen while keeping the "say" screen functional.

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Is your screen modal? Image issue can be solved by defining a new layer above screens layer and displaying your images on it (master layer, which is used to display images by default is indeed under the screen layer)
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

KingmakerVN
Regular

Re: Trouble showing images on top of a full size screen while keeping the "say" screen functional.

#3 Post by KingmakerVN »

Ocelot wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:27 pm Is your screen modal? Image issue can be solved by defining a new layer above screens layer and displaying your images on it (master layer, which is used to display images by default is indeed under the screen layer)
It isn't, but I was thinking of creating a modal screen so I could pass arguments and shows arrows and what not to highlight different parts of the screen.

KingmakerVN
Regular

Re: Trouble showing images on top of a full size screen while keeping the "say" screen functional. [Solved]

#4 Post by KingmakerVN »

Code: Select all

python:
        renpy.show_screen('map', _layer = 'background')
        renpy.show_screen('showText', 'Lol', .5, .5, _layer = 'background')

show image: 
        xalign atLeft
        zoom regZoom
        yalign regZoomY
I found a solution.