Spellchecking Your Strings/Writing in a Code Editor?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column
Projects: Ethereal Overflow
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

Spellchecking Your Strings/Writing in a Code Editor?

#1 Post by SelLi »

Hi there, I have a simple question. It's been becoming more clear, lately, that I need to be able to spell check my writing inside of my code editor. Up until now, I've been copying and pasting my writing into a normal text editor like LibreOffice Writer, spell-checking it there, and then copying and pasting it back into the code editor I've been using - the one Ren'Py currently guides users towards, named Atom. This will become less and less viable as more code, other than the simple strings of the script, get copied and pasted back and forth.

(It doesn't matter to me if LibreOffice thinks variables are misspelled, and ignoring all of those "misspellings" might lead to missing actual misspellings in the strings.)

Is there a way to spellcheck inside of a code editor? Should I be using Atom or switch over to another code editor that allows me to spellcheck? Is Atom already able to spellcheck without me being aware of it?

(I think I remember hearing that there was a downloadable module for Atom that allowed users to spellcheck their strings, but that module is for an outdated version of Atom? Also, even though I have some basic coding experience, I'm not very tech-savvy and don't really know how to download and install "patches" or "modules" for software, most of the time. I seem to remember being able to spellcheck, back in the day, when Editra was the code editor Ren'Py guided users toward? But I don't remember.)

Any help would be appreciated. :)

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Spellchecking Your Strings/Writing in a Code Editor?

#2 Post by SelLi »

SelLi wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:29 am Hi there, I have a simple question. It's been becoming more clear, lately, that I need to be able to spell check my writing inside of my code editor. Up until now, I've been copying and pasting my writing into a normal text editor like LibreOffice Writer, spell-checking it there, and then copying and pasting it back into the code editor I've been using - the one Ren'Py currently guides users towards, named Atom. This will become less and less viable as more code, other than the simple strings of the script, get copied and pasted back and forth.

(It doesn't matter to me if LibreOffice thinks variables are misspelled, and ignoring all of those "misspellings" might lead to missing actual misspellings in the strings.)

Is there a way to spellcheck inside of a code editor? Should I be using Atom or switch over to another code editor that allows me to spellcheck? Is Atom already able to spellcheck without me being aware of it?

(I think I remember hearing that there was a downloadable module for Atom that allowed users to spellcheck their strings, but that module is for an outdated version of Atom? Also, even though I have some basic coding experience, I'm not very tech-savvy and don't really know how to download and install "patches" or "modules" for software, most of the time. I seem to remember being able to spellcheck, back in the day, when Editra was the code editor Ren'Py guided users toward? But I don't remember.)

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Well... this is weird. Okay, using Atom and starting a new file, spellcheck is automatically enabled, showing red lines under words that are misspelled. However, editing an rpy file, there are no red lines under words that are misspelled, and toggling the spellchecker on and off in that situation seems to do nothing. I don't really get it... but I guess I can work around the issue by mainly working in a non rpy file and then copy and pasting back and forth? That seems arbitrary, but at least it's something I can do. Is there a way to have the spellchecker... work... when I'm editing rpy files? As soon as I save a non rpy file as an rpy file, the spellchecker immediately gets disabled and seems to stay disabled.
But I'm glad there's a work around I can do.
Take care, everyone.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest switching to Visual Studio Code, as Atom is very obsolete.

The extension I use for VS Code is called "Code Spell Checker" https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... ll-checker .

Once it's installed, you want to go to PReferences, then pick "Extensions", "Code Spell Checker", "Files, FOlders, and Workspaces", and under the "C Spell: Enable Filetypes" , click "Add Item" and add "renpy".
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#4 Post by Donmai »

Thanks. I've been using VS Code for a few years and didn't know about this extension.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by SelLi »

PyTom wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:46 am I'd suggest switching to Visual Studio Code, as Atom is very obsolete.

The extension I use for VS Code is called "Code Spell Checker" https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... ll-checker .

Once it's installed, you want to go to PReferences, then pick "Extensions", "Code Spell Checker", "Files, FOlders, and Workspaces", and under the "C Spell: Enable Filetypes" , click "Add Item" and add "renpy".
I'm replying very late, but thanks for telling me about this. :)