Recommendations for hosting game for public access?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Gachapen

Recommendations for hosting game for public access?

#1 Post by Gachapen »

I want to host my project and have it available for free and fast download to the public. Are there any better hosters other than Mega.nz? The game is about 2gb, but I might need a lot of bandwidth/transfer. The 2tb transfer from Mega per month wont be enough, and I don't think 8tb will be either. I tried S3 and it was way too complicated.

Another_Tom
Regular
Completed: Harold And The Witches
Projects: Steven On The Run
itch: dantom

Re: Recommendations for hosting game for public access?

#2 Post by Another_Tom »

Gachapen wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:26 am I want to host my project and have it available for free and fast download to the public. Are there any better hosters other than Mega.nz? The game is about 2gb, but I might need a lot of bandwidth/transfer. The 2tb transfer from Mega per month wont be enough, and I don't think 8tb will be either. I tried S3 and it was way too complicated.
I'm not quite sure what you expect but consider this.
1. You could compress your game, I assume images that are in .png format. The .webp compression allows you to compress those files by max. 2/3 lossless.
2. Who will download your game? Do you really think that your hoster will be the only source? This is not the case, it will most likely be distributed all over the internet and uploaded to different hosters. (Pirates/Spreaders/Torrents etc.)
3. Are you asking for more than 8 TB transfer quota for free? Probably not, if so please let me know xD
4. mega.nz allows you 10 petabytes transfer quota for 25k per month while 15 TB cost 15 p.month.
5. Before you rush into costs, take it slow, upload to itch.io for example and look at the download rate. Usually you have a lot of downloads on the first day (a peak) but after that the download numbers decrease steadily.

No offence, but if your game is well received and loved, people will spread it. (You have no idea why people do this, maybe because they have a portal and want to collect and distribute good games. Or they want to make money with it because they upload it to payhosters etc. etc.)

I would try to upload it to:
pixeldrain
gofile
mediafire
and so on... (these hosters are all free and can be used without an account, but they will delete your file after a period of time, i think).

Edit:
Here is an example of what I mean by distribution. The link leads to a korean website where they offer our free game (which is currently still in develpoment-status and is only available in english language) translated into korean(!!!), we have no idea who did this, but would be happy if they contact us so we can add them to the credits.

WARNING! The game is 18+, please do not click on the link if you are underage!
https://filecast.co.kr/www/contents/view/15932491/1/