Please critique my artwork! (Beginner artist)

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Ofutuntun
Tumblr: ofutuntun
itch: ofutuntun

Please critique my artwork! (Beginner artist)

#1 Post by Ofutuntun »

Hello! I'm extremely nervous (and a bit embarrassed) posting this, so please bear with me.
I'm a complete beginner when it comes to art. As in, I started in May this year. I've tried on and off to try doing art, but this is my most serious attempt.
I mainly draw guys, both mature looking characters and feminine characters, so that's mainly what I've been doing.
Other than practice, I don't know what I need to do in order to improve. (I think I should study anatomy but I don't know where to begin with that)

I've been posting my work to my mastodon account here, https://aethy.com/@ofutuntun/media
I would greatly appreciate kind feedback and an idea of what to do as I'm a bit lost. The last thing I posted on my mastodon account are the wip sprites for a (hopefully) upcoming vn.

Thank you very much for reading, have a great day. :)

Harick
Veteran

Re: Please critique my artwork! (Beginner artist)

#2 Post by Harick »

Looking over your stuff I think you're at a stage where it's hard to critique anything specifically as you're bound to improve everything just as long as you keep drawing. There is already a clear improvement from the first art you've posted to the latest, so just keep going! However I know that's a boring and disappointing answer, so I'll go a bit more in depth.

Getting better at art is a mix between deliberate study, and just doing what you want. You might want to look up photo references of faces and stuff and try to draw them realistically in different ways, as this is a great way of realizing a lot about art. Like for example you could just trace the face and end up realizing that it looks horrible, and then you have to try to figure out why that is, what is lost from the picture and how can you try to make it look better? This is just one thing you could do (one that stuck with me after I first tried it) and you could easily find many other things to practice, like shading or color.
The most important piece of advice is to look up references, and think about what you want from that as you study it. Like if you want to draw hands, look up hands, and try to think about how the individual parts work, how does the thumb move, where exactly is the wrist, if you had to break down the hand into smaller shapes what shape would the palm be, and so on. This will happen automatically when there is something specific you want to know how to draw, but this should give you some ideas of how to start. References are great, and everyone uses them, if you find that you keep forgetting to look at them while you draw you might want to copy them into your drawing program so you can always have them on screen.
Note: tracing is fine for practicing, sometimes revealing what things look like without shading or color can be eye opening, but it's not great for other things. Like proportions usually look off when traced and you need to stylize things to actually look right.

That's not what you're going to spend most of your time on, though, because that quickly gets boring. What you're most likely going to do is just drawing what you want to draw, how you want to draw it, and that's a good thing! The more you draw something the better you'll get at drawing that thing! However I would reccomend experimenting from time to time, like using a more texured brush, make the lines thicker or thinner, pushing proportions in different ways, anything you can think of. This is a fun and shockingly good way to improve, because just by doing things differently you end up learning things.

Lastly I would reccomend looking at art that you think looks fantastic, and try to figure out how they did stuff, and perhaps emulate that. Like if you think one artist draws eyes in a way you think is just amazing, try to figure out how and why it looks so good. This is assuming you don't end up discouraged by that kind of thing, which some people do. The most important thing is to keep doing art, so if anything makes you not want to do it, avoid that thing (to a reasonable extent at least)

So yeah! Keep it up! I like the personality of your art, the characters have clear and well done expressions that quickly give strong impressions of who they are, so you already have a strong foundation, and I'm excited to see you improve!

(Also I just noticed it has been like half a year since you posted this, sorry for that!)

Ofutuntun
Tumblr: ofutuntun
itch: ofutuntun

Re: Please critique my artwork! (Beginner artist)

#3 Post by Ofutuntun »

Harick wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:15 pm Looking over your stuff I think you're at a stage where it's hard to critique anything specifically as you're bound to improve everything just as long as you keep drawing. There is already a clear improvement from the first art you've posted to the latest, so just keep going! However I know that's a boring and disappointing answer, so I'll go a bit more in depth.

Getting better at art is a mix between deliberate study, and just doing what you want. You might want to look up photo references of faces and stuff and try to draw them realistically in different ways, as this is a great way of realizing a lot about art. Like for example you could just trace the face and end up realizing that it looks horrible, and then you have to try to figure out why that is, what is lost from the picture and how can you try to make it look better? This is just one thing you could do (one that stuck with me after I first tried it) and you could easily find many other things to practice, like shading or color.
The most important piece of advice is to look up references, and think about what you want from that as you study it. Like if you want to draw hands, look up hands, and try to think about how the individual parts work, how does the thumb move, where exactly is the wrist, if you had to break down the hand into smaller shapes what shape would the palm be, and so on. This will happen automatically when there is something specific you want to know how to draw, but this should give you some ideas of how to start. References are great, and everyone uses them, if you find that you keep forgetting to look at them while you draw you might want to copy them into your drawing program so you can always have them on screen.
Note: tracing is fine for practicing, sometimes revealing what things look like without shading or color can be eye opening, but it's not great for other things. Like proportions usually look off when traced and you need to stylize things to actually look right.

That's not what you're going to spend most of your time on, though, because that quickly gets boring. What you're most likely going to do is just drawing what you want to draw, how you want to draw it, and that's a good thing! The more you draw something the better you'll get at drawing that thing! However I would reccomend experimenting from time to time, like using a more texured brush, make the lines thicker or thinner, pushing proportions in different ways, anything you can think of. This is a fun and shockingly good way to improve, because just by doing things differently you end up learning things.

Lastly I would reccomend looking at art that you think looks fantastic, and try to figure out how they did stuff, and perhaps emulate that. Like if you think one artist draws eyes in a way you think is just amazing, try to figure out how and why it looks so good. This is assuming you don't end up discouraged by that kind of thing, which some people do. The most important thing is to keep doing art, so if anything makes you not want to do it, avoid that thing (to a reasonable extent at least)

So yeah! Keep it up! I like the personality of your art, the characters have clear and well done expressions that quickly give strong impressions of who they are, so you already have a strong foundation, and I'm excited to see you improve!

(Also I just noticed it has been like half a year since you posted this, sorry for that!)

Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate your feedback and will keep it in mind. Thanks again!