Steam Achievements in a Demo [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
MrRogerSmith
Regular
Projects: Leaving DNA
itch: impiousmonk

Steam Achievements in a Demo [SOLVED]

#1 Post by MrRogerSmith »

I just launched a demo of my game on Steam and I set up achievements specifically for the demo. Steam recommends against doing this but I was following the advice of another dev and Steam doesn't explain why they recommend against it.

When I used a Steam key to test the demo prior to launch (on a separate Steam account and on a separate computer that had never loaded my game), the demo achievements all worked fine. However, the achievements are not working for any player who downloads the demo through my Steam page. I can't figure out why.

Here is my achievement code:

Code: Select all

$ achievement.grant("sa1_1")
$ achievement.sync()
Last edited by MrRogerSmith on Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRogerSmith
Regular

Re: Steam Achievements in a Demo

#2 Post by MrRogerSmith »

I tried registering my achievements, but that did not have any effect.

Code: Select all

init python:

achievement.register("sa1_1")
    achievement.register("sa1_2")
    achievement.register("sa1_3")
    achievement.register("sa1_4")
    achievement.register("sa1_5")
    achievement.register("sa1_6")
    achievement.register("sa2_1")
    achievement.register("sa2_2")
    achievement.register("sa2_3")
    achievement.register("sa2_4")
    achievement.register("sa2_5")
    achievement.register("sa2_6")
    achievement.register("sa2_7")
    achievement.register("sa2_8")
Last edited by MrRogerSmith on Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRogerSmith
Regular

#3 Post by MrRogerSmith »

I also confirmed with one of the curators I sent a key to for the main game (not the demo) that he was able to unlock the achievements. This suggests that there is some distinction between owning the game via a key versus simply downloading the demo. However, I did play the demo for another Ren'py Steam game (without having a key or owning the main game) and was able to unlock the achievements for that game so there is something I'm missing here.

MrRogerSmith
Regular

#4 Post by MrRogerSmith »

Another dev finally solved this one for me. When I uploaded my main game which was sent to curators I used Ren'py 8.1.2 for which I had installed Steam support. But then I upgraded to 8.1.3 for the demo and I forgot to install the Steam support. The achievements all registered as soon I uploaded the new build with proper Steam support.