Moving Ren’Py game saves between computers

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
willanik
Regular

Moving Ren’Py game saves between computers

#1 Post by willanik »

After several years I’ve changed the computer I use for playing Ren’Py games. But now, when I go to play any game on my new computer it has none of the game saves that are on my old computer.

I read that saves are kept in the “User name”\AppData\Roaming\RenPy file, so I found this file on the old computer and copied it into the same file on my new computer. But it made no difference; I still can’t make the games on my new computer work with old saves. Is there some way around this, for example another place that the old saves are stored?

I do not want to restart a number of large games so I’m grateful for any help you can give.

inkacorn
Projects: Married to a Fool, Mehkrow Meadows
Tumblr: inkacornn
itch: inkacorn

Re: Moving Ren’Py game saves between computers

#2 Post by inkacorn »

the problem may be from a couple things.
  • you're adding these saves from an older version of the game to a newer version
  • you're not copying the persistent files and/or folder
  • you already have the game as a folder in the renpy folder
could you share your exact step by step process so we can see what went wrong in the process?
Also known as the crazy jester lady
ImageImageImage

willanik
Regular

Re: Moving Ren’Py game saves between computers

#3 Post by willanik »

Thanks for replying. I looked more closely at what I'd done to try and respond to your suggestions, and found that the file I moved had not merged with the new file. I have merged them and the problem is fixed! Glad you got me to check it again.