Ogg/Theora no longer supported in chrome

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
ChiCityFog
Completed: Andy & Rob Presents!: A Brave New World
Projects: Andy & Rob Presents!: A Halloween Special
itch: andyrobpresents

Ogg/Theora no longer supported in chrome

#1 Post by ChiCityFog »

Hey all, this was a long time in coming (and I'm a tad late to the party), but it's finally here (for the last 1.5 months or so). Most of you probably already know this, but if you're uploading games into a browser-based service like itch, and someone wants to play it on chrome, the video wont play anymore if you're rocking a .ogv format to your video (the audio still will, since it's really only the theora video codec that chrome is taking issue with). This will probably only apply to a small subsection of you guys, but if it does and you're unaware, here's the heads up. As I said, people can still play the game, they'll just have to click an additional time AFTER initially pressing the start button to advance into the actual game, since that part wont trigger anymore n it's own. This process isn't intuitive, and people may not know they need to do that.

To sum up, the .ogv container will no longer work for you on chrome if that's what you're using for video and that's the modality you're using to play the game. I switched to .webm, that works fine, so that's an easy fix. As the site below indicates, ogv still works fo firefox, and opera (my personal favorite), the 10 people using edge, and I threw in a successful go on Brave, since I use that browser from time to time. I can personally vouch that the .ogv file works on those browsers, since I tested the gd offending game on every single one before I figured the problem out. I would just switch to another license free container .webm or I guess Matroska, tho I've never tested that last one. Theora is ancient and apparently filled with security issues, so I don't know that the others are going to be supporting it going forward - I wouldn't count on it. webm works on all the major browsers (both desktop and mobile) already except i guess internet explorer, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over that lol.

https://caniuse.com/ogv