Self-answered: fix extra Space / Enter / Click needed after voice track ended to continue to next text block

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
komehara
Regular
Projects: Spirit Link
Tumblr: hsandt
Deviantart: hsandt
Github: hsandt
itch: komehara

Self-answered: fix extra Space / Enter / Click needed after voice track ended to continue to next text block

#1 Post by komehara »

I was about to ask this then found the solution, so I'll just drop it here for others, StackExchange-style.

I had an issue where I would have to press Space / Enter / Click twice to after a voice track ended to continue to the next text block.

Solution

In fact, the voice track had unwanted silence at the end and the first Space / Enter / Click stopped the voice (as usual when doing so in the middle of a voice playing), but since it was already silent I had the impression nothing happened. The second action advanced to next text block as it should.

The solution was to trim silence at the end of the track. I found out Reaper has a Tail setting set to 1000ms by default in the Render window. Uncheck Tail to remove unwanted silence on export.