Alex's Hope & Alex's Solitude [Psychological][Emotional][Coming of Age](Released!)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Duhop
Projects: AH & AS, Alex's Journey to the Grave
Organization: Violet Horizons
Github: Duhop
itch: violethorizons
Discord: Duhop

Alex's Hope & Alex's Solitude [Psychological][Emotional][Coming of Age](Released!)

#1 Post by Duhop »

Links:
itch.io
Steam
Website

Overview:
Alex's Hope & Alex's Solitude is a combination of two short stories about two young adults overcoming some of their darkest days. It brings you into their minds and through their emotions as events unfold, immersing you in their thoughts.

It was originally meant as a prologue to our next, much longer visual novel Alex's Journey to the Grave, where the two protagonists of these stories meet years in the future and become close. Instead, it's become more of a prequel to that story, with it's own unique and complete experience that can be enjoyed in isolation from it.

Alex's Hope:
The difficult story of a boy with a bleak future and a critical lack of love finding a reason to regain hope. A dark atmosphere, a cold journey, and a soft warmth will change his fate.

Alex's Solitude:
The story of a stubbornly good-hearted girl finding rejection and struggling to fit in. A change in persona, a new friend, and a serious wake-up call will lead her to make a life-changing resolution.

Content Warning:
Depression, anxiety, self harm, suicidal thoughts, substance abuse, drug overdose

Features:
- Two individual short stories (Combined length of about 7,400 words)
- Original hand-drawn characters and backgrounds
- Original soundtrack
- Three CGs in each story
- Custom minimalist UI and font
- Free

Characters:

Alex
A young man with a troubled, lonely existence and a critical lack of love. He works hard and hopes for a better future, but there's only so much you can do on willpower alone. He's driven to a desperate conclusion, but will he find a reason, any reason, to change his mind?

Alex
A young woman who finds herself outcast by those she used to trust. She tries her best to be bright, cheerful, and optimistic, but her tendency to stick tightly to her ideals and always do what she thinks is right has inevitably made her some enemies. Self-doubt and loneliness drive her to make a change, but is it really for the best?

????
Soft, cute, friendly and intelligent. This cat always seems to know just what to do! Do you think she's something more than just an ordinary black cat?

Trailer(s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8WjEY__vZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0HfW1b6604

Screenshots:

Team Members:
Duhop (Writer, programmer, director)
Paintedtrash (Character Artist)
Dilyan Nedelchev (Background Artist)
JustEmmi (Background Artist)
Trashcan (Composer)
Audio Nightmare (Composer)

Stage of Completion (As of Feb 2024):
Alex's Hope: Everything 100%
Alex's Solitude: Everything 100%

Yes, the game is now released! Find it on Steam and itch.io!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2537 ... _Solitude/
https://violethorizons.itch.io/alexs-ho ... s-solitude

My Questions:
1. What genres/themes can I use to accurately describe this project? I don't really have any clue what it is! I would guess it's something similar to things like the Milk series or OMORI, but I feel like the psychological horror tag doesn't quite fit here as it does for those games.
2. Is there any place online that you know of where an audience that would enjoy this type of story is gathered? I don't have any specific direction in my marketing efforts yet.

My Questions if you played through:
1. Is the atmosphere of the game emotionally immersive? Did something in the music, art, writing, UI or anything else take you out of the immersion?
2. Is the writing too short/sudden at times? Alex's Hope is much shorter than Alex's Solitude so it has become a worry of mine.
3. Did you encounter any bugs or problems, especially with the credits at the end?
4. Did you like it? We haven't had much feedback yet, so if you give it a read I'd love to hear anything you have to say! Even just an "I enjoyed it!" would be much appreciated.

Any other comments or suggestions are very welcome! Thanks so much for taking the time to read through the post if you made it this far!
Last edited by Duhop on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Duhop

Re: Alex's Hope & Alex's Solitude [Psychological][Emotional][Coming of Age]?(First part available now)

#2 Post by Duhop »

Mid-January update!

We've made a ton of progress on character sprites, background art, and music lately. The game is looking amazing, far better than I could have ever hoped for when we started, and release is finally on the horizon!

The biggest part of our scope creep, the 3 CGs in Alex's Solitude, are essentially all that's left for us to finish up. We should hopefully be done in time for a release on February 16th, but it's possible we may have to delay again to make sure everything is polished. I've learned over the past few months that I suck at making time predictions for this kind of thing. EDIT: Character artist got sick, so release will be delayed until late Feb at the earliest :(

Attached is one of our new sprites. Valerie is a carefree and self-indulgent girl who finds a great deal of amusement in taking Alex under her wing. One year Alex's senior, she gives our MC the perfect opportunity to make some new friends.
ValerieSpriteWide4.png
(1.85 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Duhop

Re: Alex's Hope & Alex's Solitude [Psychological][Emotional][Coming of Age]?(First part available now)

#3 Post by Duhop »

Alex's Hope & Alex's Solitude is now released! You can find it on Steam or itch.io:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2537 ... _Solitude/
https://violethorizons.itch.io/alexs-ho ... s-solitude

I don't think I'm able to move the post myself, so hopefully a mod will come along and move this thread to the correct forum.