[SOLVED] Having trouble with Circular Motion

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
saebyuk0309

[SOLVED] Having trouble with Circular Motion

#1 Post by saebyuk0309 »

Hello, I'm having trouble with the 'clockwise circles' transform and can't wrap my head around it!

I've been using this snippet of code from this very helpful tutorial to create a 'dizzy' effect:

Code: Select all

scene bg_alley blurred with vpunch:
    subpixel True
    xpos 0.5 ypos 1.0 xanchor 0.5 yanchor 1.0 zoom 1.02
    alignaround (.5, .5)
    linear 10.0 yalign 1.0 clockwise circles 1
    repeat
and it used to work perfectly, but just completely changed one day. I'm using Ren'Py 8.2.1 and I believe this issue started showing up a few weeks ago.
The circles are now much bigger and move erratically offscreen, whereas the exact same code used to produce small regular circles.

I checked the documentation, and it looks like certain parts of the above code (like alignaround) and circular motion itself are now Deprecated Properties. I'm wondering if this is conflicting with some new code, but I can't figure it out and I can't quite get it to look like it used to.
Is there an alternative way I can get the look I want?

To further clarify, I want to produce an effect where the scene moves in slow circles (not rotating) to simulate dizziness. In the example code, the background was also zoomed in slightly so that there is no transparent space.
Here's an image from the same tutorial as reference.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!
Last edited by saebyuk0309 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Having trouble with Circular Motion

#2 Post by m_from_space »

saebyuk0309 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 pm Hello, I'm having trouble with the 'clockwise circles' transform and can't wrap my head around it!
So, suppose you want to make your background move along a small circle in the middle of the screen and be precise about it using subpixel rendering:

show bg_alley:
    subpixel True
1. Set the anchor point of the image. Let's choose the center of the image for that. Note: This is NOT the point where the image will circle around, it's just the position inside the image (not the screen!), where we grab it:

anchor (0.5, 0.5)
2. Now define the position on the screen, where the image should start its motion using the position property. As a starting point, let's choose a point that is a bit away from the center point of the screen. So we grab the image in the middle and then put that middle point at this position:

pos (0.51, 0.51)
3. Now let's set the point on the screen (not the image!) where we want the image to circle around. Let's pick the center of the screen:

around (0.5, 0.5)
4. We are ready now. Let's start the circular motion by using either the keyword "clockwise" or "counterclockwise" and a time for how long we want it to take to make a full circle. The image will move around the center making a full circle, until it reaches the starting pos within 3 seconds:

linear 3.0 clockwise circles 1
5. Let's repeat the animation:

repeat
Hint: All positions can also be absolute pixel positions (using integer values) instead of relative positions (using floats).

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by m_from_space »

Another example, making the image move along a horizontal "8"-shape (meaning two circles next to each other):

show mybackground:
    subpixel True
    # both anchor and starting position are the same,
    # so instead of anchor (0.5, 0.5) and pos (0.5, 0.5), we can use align
    align (0.5, 0.5)
    # first point to circle around is slightly right of the center
    around (0.51, 0.5)
    linear 3.0 counterclockwise circles 1
    # second point is slightly left of the center
    around (0.49, 0.5)
    linear 3.0 clockwise circles 1
    repeat

saebyuk0309

#4 Post by saebyuk0309 »

This works perfectly! Thank you so much for your help - and for thoroughly explaining the process. You're a lifesaver!