Certain configuration variables not working

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
trailsiderice
Regular

Certain configuration variables not working

#1 Post by trailsiderice »

I can't get config.after_load_transition = fade or $ _game_menu_screen = None to work. It seems like Ren'Py just ignores these completely. I get no transition when loading a save, and it still shows the save menu when right clicking in game.

Am I using these wrong? What gives?

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Certain configuration variables not working

#2 Post by m_from_space »

trailsiderice wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am I can't get config.after_load_transition = fade or $ _game_menu_screen = None to work. It seems like Ren'Py just ignores these completely. I get no transition when loading a save, and it still shows the save menu when right clicking in game.

Am I using these wrong? What gives?
Here is how you have to use each of them:

Code: Select all

define config.after_load_transition = fade

label start:
    "Let's disable the game menu for now..."
    $ _game_menu_screen = None
    "Alright, it should be disabled."

trailsiderice
Regular

#3 Post by trailsiderice »

m_from_space wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am Here is how you have to use each of them:
Ok, placing $ _game_menu_screen = None inside a label does work now, but as for after_load_transition, that's exactly how I have it written, and it still dumps me very abruptly and unceremoniously into loaded saves, no transition or anything... I'm not sure why.

Thanks for helping with the game menu screen, though.

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by m_from_space »

trailsiderice wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 pm ... but as for after_load_transition, that's exactly how I have it written, and it still dumps me very abruptly and unceremoniously into loaded saves, no transition or anything... I'm not sure why.
Make sure there is not a second entry of this config variable, overwriting your own statement. There is a default entry inside <options.rpy> that uses a "dissolve" as an after-load-transition. Delete that or overwrite it inside the file!

If it still doesn't work, try updating Renpy using the launcher.

trailsiderice
Regular

#5 Post by trailsiderice »

m_from_space wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:08 am Make sure there is not a second entry of this config variable, overwriting your own statement. There is a default entry inside <options.rpy> that uses a "dissolve" as an after-load-transition. Delete that or overwrite it inside the file!
Ah, that was it. I feel a bit silly for not checking for that, lmao. In any case, thank you!