Ren'Py Downloader Config and Saves

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
GetOutOfMyLab

Ren'Py Downloader Config and Saves

#1 Post by GetOutOfMyLab »

Hello,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the downloader for mobile is supposed to work. My first run through of this, it installed along side my previous version of the game (one that did not have the functionality implemented). It also did not have access to saves of that game after downloading the update.

So, I tried giving it the same configuration (save directory and same settings set in the Android Configure option from the launcher), and this time it replaced the existing app, but deleted all saves.

So, how is this supposed to work? Am I doing something wrong, or are maintaining saves not possible?

Additionally, saving from the new app doesn't work, either (likely due to the config guide saying to disable that).

Ren'Py 7.7.1

GetOutOfMyLab

Re: Ren'Py Downloader Config and Saves

#2 Post by GetOutOfMyLab »

I'm cautiously optimistic that I got this working. Seems that in the main game, I had to explicitly set define config.save = True (since the Downloader app sets it to False).

I also made sure the package name was the same so that it would update the old version of the app. Saves appear to be loadable and saveable now.

Not sure if this is the "right" answer. We'll see if I get an update on the github issue I opened.